Chapter 2: Prey

3rd Person POV

Country Road

"No one's seen or heard from you since Cybertron went dark," Arcee said. "How did you find your way to Earth?"

"Soldier," Ultra Magnus said firmly. "We may not be on Cybertron, but military protocol remains."

Arcee straightened. "My apologies... sir."

"Sir?" Katie asked in confusion.

"Advise the native lifeform to watch its tone as well," Ultra Magnus said, not even looking at Katie.

Katie growled and started slipping her weapon out of its sheath.

Arcee noticed and quickly put a calming hand on her shoulder. "Ultra Magnus was Optimus's key lieutenant during the war on Cybertron," Arcee whispered hastily. "Very by the book. Just go with it."

"Going by the book doesn't really protect you from the apocalypse," Katie protested.

Arcee gave her a meaningful look.

"Fine," Katie grumbled. Dante is not going to like this guy, she thought.

"As for your broader question," Ultra Magnus stated, "my story is that of all Autobots since the Exodus. I wandered the spaceways in search of others. Reuniting with some... often to only see them fall at the hands of the Decepticons."

"Until you detected the Omega beam and followed it here," Arcee realized.

"If you are referring to the massive energy burst originating from Cybertron... that would be affirmative," Ultra Magnus replied. "Upon my arrival it became evident that this planet had been invaded. My scanners also detected Autobot life signals. Yours being in closest proximity to my position."

"How many signals?" Katie asked.

Ultra Magnus raised an eyebrow.

Katie stared back at him defiantly.

"Six total," Ultra Magnus replied finally.

"Out of eight, not counting Dante," Katie muttered.

"Katie, that doesn't necessarily mean what you're thinking," Arcee assured her. "Autobot signals can't be detected when they're shielded."

"Let's just hope it's only that," Katie muttered.

Somewhere in Texas

Dante sat down on a couch across from the others in a hidden bunker.

"So... let me get this straight," Grace said slowly. "You came back from the past, joined forces with an alien race to defend the world, took down the organization responsible for Legion's creation, traveled to another world galaxies away, met the creator of all Cybertronians, gained the ability to grow to Cybertronian size, prevented the Cyberforming of Earth, and are now separated from the other Autobots?"

"And you have Arcee as a girlfriend?" Robbie added. He shook his head. "Only you."

"I know it's farfetched," Dante said. "I would show you my Cybertronian size, but the ceiling's not high enough."

Sarah Connor eyed him suspiciously. "I don't really know what to think. Transforming aliens sounds impossible."

"But then again, so do human-like robots from the future," Dani added.