Chapter 9: Protagonist

Athy's POV

I walked around outside for the whole day, trying to find interesting things I could buy.

"Ah! Mister, may I have one of those?" I asked, pointing at the street food he sold.

"Why, yes!" He exclaimed, handing me one of the slices.

"Ah, here." I handed him the payment.

"Miss, here's the cha-"

"Mister can keep it!" I cheerfully said.

"Uh... Huh?" He looked confused.

"This is so good, so you can keep the change." I smiled at him.

He chuckled and said, "That's odd. Are you perhaps one of those nobles dressed as a commoner?"

I flinched.

"W-what do you mean?" I looked at him, shocked.

"Well, not many people let us keep the change here since commoners usually prefer to save their money."

Damn. I should've learned more about them...

"Y-you shouldn't be stereotypical about commoners like us! Some people simply want to thank others, so they let you keep the change!" I nervously explained.

"Ah... I get it." He rubbed his hair.

"Yes, so-"

"Have you heard about the princess running away?" I heard a voice.

I was bewildered, and looked to the direction I heard it from to see a bunch of people gossiping about the imperial family.

"Yeah, I heard that the emperor is looking for her!"

Oh no...

I decided to join in as to not get attention, and to hear more.

"He even put out some magic where you can see a videotape of her during her debutante!" One of the women explained.

"Geez, they must be trying to kill her. After all, she poisoned her own sis-"

"That's enough." I heard a voice come up from behind me.

L-Lucas?!

Although he was disguised, I could easily recognize him.

"You shouldn't talk about the imperial family, let alone gossip about them. Y'know what treason is?" He nonchalantly continued.

"Mister... Who are you to join in?"

"Doesn't matter. I could be the imperial family's knight to arrest you for treason."

All the women flinched.

"Ah I forgot I have my laundry to do..."

"Yeah, I need to cook as well!"

One by one, the women left.

I looked at Lucas and said, "It's okay. You didn't have to do that, y'know?"

"What do you mean?"

"Im fine.."

"I don't care."

"Huh?"

"I wasn't doing it for you anyway. My ears were hurting so I needed to shut them up."

I giggled, knowing the fact that he's lying.

"Okay, if you say so." I chuckled.

---------------------————

Claude's POV