first day

I woke up early the next morning. Minho had told me that it was part of my job to do so.

There is down sides to all jobs.

I kicked the covers off and slipped out of bed. A loud groan escaped my lips as I wasn't prepared for such an early start.

I met up with Minho for breakfast and he prepared me by handing me my harness which would supposedly 'protect' from whatever was in those walls.

Just as we were about to leave, I was pulled aside by the wrist.

"Um hey? What are you doing Gally? I need to go"

Gally just hugged me randomly and it was kinda of awkward until I gave in and hugged him back.

"Erm ok. Can you let go now? Gally seriously. We can talk later" I said pushing him off.

"Gall if your worried about her getting hurt, don't be, she has me." Minho winked from behind me, "Also, what's made you go all soft. You aren't the hug type"

"Shut up. Keep her safe." Gally said sternly before walking off.

There it was again. The unneeded and unnecessary over-protection.

"Wow. Y/n, I've never seen him care for someone that much. Not like I've known him long but he's not the type of person to care about people." Minho informed me.

"I don't see why. The only difference between me and the rest of you is that I'm a girl. He shouldn't treat me any differently because of my gender." I snarled, earning a nod from Minho.

I ran into the maze and Minho led the way. Aswell as mapping it out on paper
I memorised it in my head.

I had a feeling it would come in handy in the future.

The maze was weird. Minho didn't seem to talk much, as if he was afraid of something. I kept quiet just like him while we ran in random directions.

It began to get dark and Minho instructed us to go back to the glade. Gally was pacing back in forth by the exit.

Why was he waiting? He has much better things to be doing.

"You're okay." He smiled as I jogged over.

"I really don't understand why you are so bothered." I mumbled, walking past him.

"You know why." He hinted about our conversation yesterday.

"If you like me, you really shouldn't be getting all freaked every time I do anything."

"Sorry." He snapped, "Sorry, that I care."

"Jeez. No need to get so snappy. I didn't mean it like that. Just sometimes it can be a little infuriating." I explained as we sat on the dinner bench opposite Minho who had already made his way over.

"Y/n, can we talk after dinner please. It's important." Gally whispered into my ear.

"Of course we can."

I noticed Newt sat by himself so I decided to join him. When I sat beside him, he continued staring into nothingness.

"Hey." I nudged him.

"Ah! Oh hey." He jumped. "Sorry i was
day dreaming. How was the first day on the job?" He asked turning to me.

"Gallys been worried all day. You're lucky you know."

"Why?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

To me I didn't seem lucky.

"To have someone like Gally. Someone who'll protect you and care for you no matter what." Newt smiled.

"I can protect and care for myself."

"I'm sure. But, sometimes you'll need a little help and I'm sure he'll be the first one there."

Oaky, maybe I was slightly lucky.

All of a sudden, a hand gently took mine and I was pulled to my room.

"Y/n, is now a good time to speak?"

"I mean, you did just pull me from eating my food, but sure."

"Would you like to be my girlfriend?" He blurted looking down and nervously fiddling with his fingers.

Not this again. After this conversation I would be feeling an obscene amount of guilt.

"Gally, you know how I feel. My feelings didn't just change over night. Ask me again in a few days and we'll see."

I smiled weakly, trying to lift his spirits but instead of a reaction back he just walked away in a huff.