Part 9

9.

Rowan

     We drive forever. I try to sleep but I don't like the thought of being unconscious whilst being in such close proximity to these three. Not that it makes a difference to them whether I am asleep or awake because I know they will do what they like regardless but I don't like not knowing what they are doing at all times.

     Aside from the faint drone of the radio, it is the bitter sound of silence that fills the car. Tyler is asleep on the backseat and Faye is absentmindedly stroking his hair whilst gazing out of her window. Harry doesn't strike up a conversation with me - not that I'm surprised - so I don't try to talk to him.

     I keep glancing over to harry, afraid that, whilst Tyler's eyes are closed, he'll try to kill me. It's a fear that lingers around me like a bad smell lately. The whole world seems to want me dead. As much as I hate Tyler, I have to admit that it seems like he is the only one who is interested in keeping me alive. The other two look at me like my rightful place is above their fireplace.

     It's like this for a while. Silent. I've been alone with my thoughts for so long now that I am itching to speak but I hold it in. There is no way that any conversation I have with Harry or Faye is going to turn out well.

     The road is nothing more than a great expanse of tyre-marked tar and we are driving too fast for me to get a clear sight of the road signs. I have no better an idea of where I am now than when I was stuck in my cell. The only thing I know is that wherever we are, it isn't familiar.

     Well that narrows it down.

     "Where are we going?" I finally buck up the courage to ask and even now my voice is a whisper.

      "Hotel," Harry grunts in response, not taking he eyes off the road.

     "Hey, do us a favour and stop off at the next shop, preferably a supermarket. We need to buy some supplies, clothes and stuff, you know," Faye interjects from the back. She's talking to Harry though, not me. After that it is silence again and somehow I think that this is better.

     I know that Tyler is awake because I can hear movement in the back. I think that he hasn't had nearly enough sleep, especially considering how much he needs to catch up on but then again, who am I to tell him how much sleep to have? More importantly, why should I care?

     I can see him in the rear view mirror, stretching his arms and rubbing the sleep from his eyes. His hair is unruly and tussled, the before me that is locked inside my mind would think that  his messy bed-head actually makes him look cute - not hot - but that innocent part of me is buried deep now. The new me barely notices.

     "We're here. Be quick about it Faye OK? Grab what we need and then leave got it?" Harry says as the car rolls to a stop. Faye nods and then jumps out of the car in a haste that isn't usual for everyday supply shopping. All three of us watch as she sprints up the path leading to the building.

     I sink down in my chair and the movement wafts the air around me. I catch a whiff of myself and blanch. I stink. No exaggeration, the smell of my filthy skin makes bile rise in my throat.

     "I cant go into a hotel like this," I say mostly to myself. I've grown use to the concept of being ignored. "I need a shower." I'm looking out of the window but in my minds eye I can just see what will happen when people see me. They will whisper, gossip and mutter under their breath. They will go out of their way to move away from me and look at me like a piece of dirt - I'm used to it now.

      And then I think that maybe someone will care. Maybe someone will come over and ask, "Are you OK?" and then I could tell them. I could explain who I am and what has happened to me. I could tell them to call the police and they would take me home and I won't ever have to think about Tyler or Faye or Harry or anything that has happened to me.