Part 36

36.

Tyler

     Success! I actually managed to do something right for once: shocking, I know. Odds are it was bound to happen eventually but I was beginning to think I was never going to get the chance to make it up to Her. Guns? No problem. Terrigenas? My specialty. Rowan? I couldn’t be more clueless. Who knew all it would take is suiting up, locating a stash of classical CD’s (her mum’s I presume) and lighting a few candles to get the smile back on her pretty face. And God it is a gorgeous smile.

     We danced until the moon was at its apex, a spotlight shining only on the two of us. Then I walked her to the door of her bedroom (as slowly as possible to prolong our time together) where I she let me kiss her goodnight. It was painfully quick, only a chaste peck on the cheek – far from the lustful kisses I fantasise. Still, I lay in bed and I can’t stop thinking about it. About her. About the fact that she’s only a meter away. I could just get up right now…

     My door opens and I’m momentarily blinded, eyes not used to the brightness. Rowan stands in the doorway, a halo of light surrounding her - looking every bit an angel.

     “Tyler? Are you awake?” She whispers timidly dancing on the borderline of the room.

     “Yeah, yeah I’m awake,” I mutter sitting up. “Is everything alright?”

      “I’m fine, just can’t sleep,” she looks down at her hands, “Can I come in?”

     I smile, “It’s your house.” She looks at me uncertainly. What happened to cocky I-don’t-give-a-damn Rowan. Shaking my head I fold over the quilt cover as an invitation “Sure, come on in.”

     Slowly she makes her way over to the bed and climbs in beside me. Is it wrong that the whole time I’m thinking about how sexy she looks, even in pyjamas? Worse thoughts wander through my mind the minute she’s next to me. Stop! I do try, honest. But I can’t stop. I’m glad when she speaks; it gets my mind of some fairly indecent images.

     “Thanks again for tonight. That’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever done for me… even with the dress.” She jokes but it’s strained. “I just want you to know that I don’t blame you. The Base was, well it was a pretty crappy time for me and it’s going to take some time to get over it but if I was you I would have done the same thing. I want you to stop feeling guilty alright? For the solstice I want no regrets.”

     “Agreed, no regrets.”

     She sighs, “Good.”

     “Rowan?” I ask, tentatively.

     “Mmm”

     “I want to tell you something.” She turns to me and I lean forward so that our faces are only an inch apart. Rowan looks at me, stunned and confused but she doesn’t pull away. Good sign. “No regrets right?” I say against her lips and kiss her. I’m gentle at first, giving her the chance to stop me. She kisses back, her hands locking in my hair and pulling me harder against her. She pushes us apart and we both sit breathless and unsure of what just happened.

     “But, I thought you didn’t like me.” She says and I very nearly laugh at the absurdity of it.

     “What?”

     “No, I mean I know you like me – like… that. I figured that out after the first time you, um kissed me. But I thought – because of what I am and what I can do. I thought because I was so like them that you…

     “What? That’s so completely stupid - you are nothing like them Rowan. You’re amazing and funny and good. I’ve never met another girl like you and I’d be mental to think you are anything other than beautiful. Who you are and what you can do only makes you more special kid, don’t you ever think otherwise OK.”