001

Moving to LA was never in the plans, especially not for a born and raised Brooklyn girl. When duty calls, you go and you uproot yourself for a new life. Aurora did not think transferring to the LAFD would be as hard as she thought but she was in for a very, very rude awakening.

"Hi um I'm Auri, um Aurora Montero. I was told to report to Robert Nash?" she spoke to a tall African American woman. Aurora was fairly small for her profession and age.

"Honey no offense, are you sure you're in the right place? You seem pretty small to be a part of the LAFD."

"This is station 118 right?"

"Yeah, I guess you're in the right spot. I'm Hen nice to meet you. Bobby is up there with the guys having lunch." she pointed up to this balcony like area in the fire house.

Auri took a deep breathe and adjusted her bag on her shoulder before she took up the steps.

"Uh hi? Can I help you? Are you lost?" an older man asked her as she came into view of he and 3 other men sitting at a long table.

"Um no, uh Hen said I'm in the right place I think?" she questioned looking at the confused men.

"Oh yes! yes Montero you transferred from NYFD?" the older man questioned. "I envisioned you..." he trailed off.

"Bigger?" one of the other very attractive men spoke quickly.

"Taller?" the other one spoke.

"Well um, yeah I'm Bobby"

"Nice to meet you I'm Auri, well Aurora Montero. I guess this is me reporting for duty." she spoke

"Well since you met Hen down there this is Chimney" he introduced an asian man sitting.

He stood up reaching a hand out "Howie but everyone calls me Chimeny" he smiled at me widely.

Next came the two very attractive men that were seated opposite each other "These two are Eddie and Buck." Bobby introduced.

"Well it was nice to meet you all, you guys can call me Auri, can I um, get my uniform and things?"

"You probably have to tailor it" Buck spoke jokingly making Eddie almost spit out his drink.

"Very funny boys, yes of course follow me" Captain spoke making his way down the stairs.

Once they reached his office he turned to her after reviewing the paperwork on his desk.

"Hmm Aurora Montero to report to duty tomorrow 12/1?"

"Oh uh y-yeah I came to get my uniform to get it tailored" she spoke embarrassed.

He chuckled "sorry about those guys they can be a handful" he smiled welcomingly. "Welcome to 118 Montero, you're going to have to prove yourself to those guys, I just want you to know I'm going to go a little hard on you so they won't."

"Thank you Cap, see you tomorrow."

"Bright and early" he responded.

The next morning Aurora got dressed and ready for her first day at 118. She brushed her hair and did two dutch braids to have it up and out her face for work. She decided to stop and get an iced coffee as she had been up practically all night tailoring her own uniform.

She grabbed her overnight bag, her wallet, her keys, and water bottle before heading down to the parking garage of her apartment complex.

"Okay Aurora, you have a fresh start here. No annoying, crazy ex, no annoying family, fresh start, new people, new places." She spoke to herself in her rearview mirror.