16: Help

Billie's POV

The second I saw what Finneas had done to Aubrey, I knew he had gone too far. Even though we've discussed several times in the past that I'm the leader, and that he can't do anything without my permission, he still goes and does it anyway. And the fact, knowing how young she is, makes the situation even worse. Yeah, her parents are dead. But that still doesn't help the case. It makes me feel worse instead. And knowing what he's done made me realize that I need to protect her, no matter the cost.

I rush over to Aubrey and begin working on the several pieces of tape securing her to the bedframe. He tied them too strong, unfortunately, and they're all knotted up. I see a knife on her nightstand, and I have the feeling that he was planning to use it on Aubrey. I grab it, tightly gripping the handle until my knuckles turn white, and begin sawing furiously at her hand closest to me. After a few seconds, the tape gives, and her hand falls to her side, free from the tape that was once holding her wrists up. I continue the strategy, leaning carefully over her body to cut her other wrist free. Once her second hand is free, she begins tearing at the contents restraining her mouth. I begin working on her ankles. After a minute, she's fully free from the clutches of the tape. She tries sitting up, but gives up, collapsing and sobbing from the pain. Her skin is torn widely in several strips so I can see what's underneath. No bones are visible, thankfully, but she's damaged greatly.  

I know she needs my help more than anybody else in the universe. And if she needs my help, she's going to get it. I sit beside her on the bed. She clutches at my shirt, sobbing into my chest. I want to hold her against me, but her back's in extreme agony right now. Instead, I just press my hand gently against the back of her head. Her body is shaking heavily, and several noises escape her frail little body. Seeing and hearing her in this state makes me want to cry along with her, but I need to be strong for Aubrey.

"It's okay, Aubrey. You're safe," I say, trying to hide the pain in my voice. I can't control it any longer. I feel a few tears slide down my cheeks, and my voice begins quivering, along with my breath becoming shaky. "You're safe now. You're okay."

"W-w-why did he h-h-hurt m-me?" she sobs. "I — I d-don't u-understand!"

"I don't know." And this is the honest truth. I really don't know why he hurt Aubrey. She's an angel; she doesn't deserve the pain she went through. "I don't know."

A sudden thought comes to me, one that could possibly cheer her up. I take a shuddery breath and begin to sing to her softly, trying to put out the message that I've been thinking.

"As long as I'm here, no one can hurt you. Don't wanna lie here, but you can learn to. If I could change the way that you see yourself . . ."

"Y-y-you wouldn't wonder w-why you're here, they d-don't deserve you."

Hearing her sing that line was truly lifting. She sings like an angel, possibly because she is an angel. My angel. I don't know where she got that kind of voice, but it's beautiful.

"Where'd you learn to sing?" I ask her. "You sound gorgeous."

"I — I took singing lessons," she says quietly, putting her head on my lap, resting for a while. "For around seven years. I don't think I sound that good; you're way better than me, one hundred percent."

"No. Don't lie to yourself," I tell her. "You could be a big singer in a few years, just like me. All you need is a little support."

She smiles. "Thanks, Billie."

"No problem, my love." Her face goes red at that name. I swear on my life that slipped out.

No. Stop lying to yourself, Billie. You love her.

No, I don't! I'm straight!

Am I? I don't know anymore!

After a few seconds, she falls asleep in my lap. I lean my head against the headboard and close my eyes, sleep overcoming me.