13

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Basilisk

"I thought about how there are two types of secrets: the kind you want to keep in, and the kind you don't dare to let out."

Hagrid's Hut

As they landed, Fang bolted free and the three exited the car wearily, then watched it turn and rumble back into the forest. "Follow the spiders! Follow the spiders! If he ever gets out of Azkaban, I'll kill Hagrid! I mean, what was the point of sending us in there? What have we found out?" Ron asked.

"Were you not paying attention?!" Liv snapped.

"Was a bit preoccupied with Spiders trying to KILL US!" Ron snapped back.

"Hagrid never opened the Chamber of Secrets. He was innocent," Harry said, calmly, while his sister and best friend were still fired up.

Hospital Wing

The next day, Harry, Ron, Liv and Roni were visiting Hermione again. Harry took the old dried up flowers out of the vase next to her bed, then put in some new white flowers as Liv was sitting on the bed, staring at her friend in agony. "We need you, Hermione. Now more than ever," Liv said. Hermione just laid there with her glossy facial expression as Liv sighed sadly and Roni placed her hand on Liv's shoulder.

Harry rubbed Hermione's left hand, but he felt something in it. He looked down and removed his hand to discover a crumpled up piece of paper, a library book page, which he carefully removed and straightened out. "What's that?"

Harry looked down to see Liv looking up at him in curiosity. "Guys," Harry said and everyone else looked at him. "This is why Hermione was in the library the day she was attacked."

He glanced at the page and then back at his sister and friends as Liv stood up. She then snatched the paper from him and read it out loud. "Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the Basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders flew before it-" Liv read but then Harry snatched the paper back from her.

"This is it. The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a Basilisk. That's why Liv and I can hear it speak. It's a snake," he said.

"But if it kills by looking people in the eye, why is it no one's dead?" Roni asked and Harry thought for a few seconds.

"Because no one did look it in the eye. Not directly, at least," He said and Liv's eyes widened in realization.

"Colin saw it through his camera. Justin...Justin must've seen the Basilisk through Nearly Headless Nick. Nick got the full blast of it, but he's a ghost. He couldn't die again. And Hermione...had the mirror. I bet you anything she was using it to look around corners in case it came along," Liv explained.

"And Mrs. Norris?" Ron asked and Liv looked back at him. "I'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera or a mirror, Liv."

"The water...There was water on the floor that night. She only saw the Basilisk's reflection," Liv said and Ron nodded before Liv snatched the paper from Harry again and looked at it. "Spiders flew before it. It all fits."

"But how's the Basilisk been getting around? A dirty great snake, someone would've seen it," Ron said and Harry snatched the paper from Liv again. He glanced at the bottom of the page where the word Pipes was written.

"The pipes. Hermione's answered that, too," Harry said.

"The pipes? It's using the plumbing!" Roni exclaimed.