Chapter 14

December 27, 2011
Emily and JJ's house
Tw⚠️ - depression, mentions of suicide and death

Emily's POV

I was in a deep sleep when I heard movement in the hallway. When I was about to open my eyes the small noise stopped. I turn over to look at JJ, making sure she was still asleep in bed. She was sleeping peacefully with her hair everywhere and the moonlight shining in her face. I tuck the stray hairs behind her ear then turn around and drift off to sleep.

I have been asleep for maybe half an hour when I heard the room door open. I was so tired I couldn't even open my eyes, I was hoping I was just hearing things because I didn't want to get up. Small footsteps get closer to me, they stop once they are right in front of me. After a couple of seconds of silence, I feel a small person tugging on my cover.

"Momma," Henry whispers.

"Mommy is on the other side," I say sleepily with my eyes still closed.

He continues to pull on my cover until I open my eyes, "Momma I don't feel good."

I pick him up and sit him on the bed in front of me. I place the back of my hand on his forehead then his cheek, he was hot and pale.

"Ok, bubba come on let's get you some medicine and watch tv on the couch, ok?" He doesn't say anything, he just replies with a nod.

I slowly get out of bed making sure I don't wake up JJ, I put on a shirt and sweatpants. Then I picked him up and carried him to the bathroom. I rustle through the medicine cabinet, grab the children's fever and flu medicine, then quietly carry him to the leaving room.

I sit him on the couch to grab some blankets from the hallway closet. While walking back to the couch I heard Henry crying and heaving. I drop the blankets, running over to him, seeing him throw up on the floor and crying.

"Hey bubba it's ok I know you didn't mean to. I'm going to give you some medicine, change your close then I'll clean that up ok?" With tears still running down his cheeks, he nods.

I gave him the children's medicine, change his close then lay him down on the couch with a sippy cup half full of apple juice. I clean the throw up off the floor, threw his first set of pj's in the washer, and went back to the couch to lay with him. He didn't waste any time before laying on my chest with his head in my neck, I pulled the small blanket over him, and we watched cartoons.

Hours later

"Em wake up," JJ says lightly running her fingers through my hair. I slowly open my eyes looking down to see Henry still on my chest. "What are you guys doing, today's not the day for morning cartoons?"

I sit up slowly so I don't wake up Henry, I lean against the back of the couch still holding him close to my chest, "Henry's sick. Early this morning he woke me up telling me he didn't feel good. I think he meant to wake you up but that's beside the point. He threw up, I gave him medicine, then I guess we went to sleep."

She kissed my cheek, "Thank you." We sit there for a second watching cartoons before she spoke again. "I know this is random but why do you think he went to wake me up instead of you?"

Not taking my attention away from the tv I say, "He was tugging on my cover calling for momma." She gasps, covering her mouth in shock as happy tears filled her eyes. "What?" I ask, confused about what the big deal is.