Chapter 20

"I'm not coming."

Klaus adjusted his glasses and looked down, attracting the eyes of everyone in the royal mess hall.

"What do you mean?"
Mimosa asked, with a worried look.
"You're a really strong leader, Klaus-Senpai. You're the one who brings order--"
"I will protect the clover citizens just in case. They might attack over here as well."

"........Klaus-Senpai...."
Yuno muttered, wanting to protest. But it was valid, his reason. Devil hosts have never stuck to plans, they've always been cunning and unpredictable.

"Hey, Yuno...."
Asta tiptoed and whispered into Yunos ear.
"Some time ago four-eyes was hollering about how to attack...now he's staying back?"
"Shut up Asta. He's my senior."
"......hmph."

The short ash blonde crossed his arms and pouted.
What's going on?? I barely know any of them.....and where are we going? God I have so many questions....

Asta was obviously confused. He only knew Yuno, Noelle, and Nero. Literally nobody else.
He felt insecure for the first time in a long time, so he decided to stick to Yuno.

"So who's the leading captain? Captain Yami or Captain Vangeance?"
A voice revealed a new presence.
Yuno stared at Langris stepping into the mess hall.
He's...coming?
"Langris-Senpai. What are you doing here?"

Alecdora asked Yunos question.
"Well, since Klaus isn't coming...I thought I could be a decent replacement."
The brunette said with a smug look, the one he always had.

That look was never really threatening because he almost always had that look. It's either this or some mad expression.

"Alright listen up lads."
A loud voice crashed into the hall.

"I'm gonna be supervising y'all today. I'm got gonna help though."
Captain Yami announced through a string of smoke from his lips.

"Well then...let's get going, shall we?"

A teenage boy with a chubby build laughed before stretching his arms forward and conjuring up two big doors our of thin air. They opened up and shined brightly.

The ones in the hall flinched before stepping into the portal doors.

Yuno watched as everyone made their way to the doors. He got looks from Mimosa and David, who signalled him to follow them.

Yuno gulped and grasped his blue necklace which was shining even more brightly because of the portal's in-built light effects.
He looked a little down, and tightened his grip around his necklace.

He has a habit of holding onto the necklace when he's afraid or agitated. It has always been something that calms him down. Even now, if the necklace is ever taken off, he changes.

He starts losing control over his emotions, and he gets a lot more aggressive. It goes both ways. Either even stronger or a whole lot weaker.

The necklace holds a scary moment behind it. Ever since that snowy night, it's been embedded in him that he just cannot lose his necklace.

That necklace was everything for him when there was nothing for him.
This time, these past weeks, it was Asta for him when Asta wasn't there.

Speaking of Asta, he watched as he stood beside Yuno, refusing to move from his side.
"Oi! Yuno! Are you okay?"

The taller male snapped out when he took in Asta's presence.
"Oh, um...let's go."

Yuno took a breath before walking into the portal besides Asta who was staring in awe.

He wondered what was waiting for them behind the gates.

..........................................•••

Upon crossing the portal, Asta choked on feeling blazing intense heat causing him to sweat out in a matter of seconds.

He coughed to clear his throat and looked around him.

There was a grassland stretching out in front him upto a distance, until his eye narrowly caught a structure. A tall structure. Not to mention, it was dark even in the afternoon, and it hurt his eyes just to try and focus on his surroundings.

He noticed his friends and everyone else on the mission. They seemed to have been going through the same feeling Asta was going through.

"Everyone...do you know how to use mana-skin?"
Asta turned to Yuno besides him who wiped his forehead with his sleeve.

The crew turned to Yuno before closing their eyes, and letting themselves get enveloped in small layers of different colors.

"Asta...can you activate your black form?"
Yuno, who was gleaming in green, questioned Asta who had started to breathe heavily.
"H-How do you expect me to do that?! I'm gonna go berserk!"
"Better go berserk than die."
"............."

Better go berserk than die.
Huh.

The squad turned to Yuno who initiated the comment and then to Asta. Each one of them flipping through pages of their grimoire to protect themselves.

"........You guys better kill me if something happens."
"Shut up. I'm not killing you yet."

Asta took a shaky breath, before his grimoire slid out and flipped to the second page.
"Let's do this then."

He pulled out his demon dweller sword, and instantly felt his entire body getting tugged like a puppet. He forced his right leg onto the ground for stable footing.

Yuno stepped back on seeing him struggle.
It's either this or him fainting instantly.

Asta felt waves of pressure drilling down his spine. His temples felt like they were about to blast.

Black matter began it's raid his body.
No...no! This can't happen...not now!

He gripped the hilt and took deep breaths on feeling his chest lighten up.
He finally opened his eyes and looked at everyone who seemed surprised.

"Did I...succeed...?"
Asta stood up straight and looked down on his hands. His body was glowing a light red, and he finally started to cool down.

"Way to go, kid. Surpassing your limits like a boss, eh?"
Yami walked in from behind and gave his usual back slam.
"Ow...."

"Well then kids? Let's go. Get your brooms or vehicles or whatever."
The muscular man flipped around his broom and jumped onto it.
The other magic knights took out their brooms and got ready to fly off.

Yuno lifted his body up with his wind, Letoile climbed onto her golden compass needle, Noelle slipped into her Valkyrie armour, and Secré turned into her bird form.

"Um...captain Yami! What's the plan?"
Noelle asked out of the blue.
"Plan? Oh...I guess you should just stay out of sight and not get caught."

Yami flew ahead and ignored the confused looks he got from the squad.

"You sure do have a weird captain."
Yuno and Asta turned to Langris.
"He's gonna get us killed eventually."
"Hey! Don't tease my captain!! I remember you from the royal knight's exam!!"
"Asta. Come on. Forget about him."

Asta turned to Yuno who was floating in mid-air.
"And how the hell do you expect me to 'come on'?"
"......ah. I forgot."

Yuno landed down in front of Asta and walked towards him.
..........
................

"OI!!! LET ME DOWN!!!"
"How else to you expect me to carry you?"
"NOT LIKE THIS!!! I FEEL SO WEIRD!!! WHY DON'T YOU MAKE THAT WIND BOAT OR WHATEVER YOU CALL IT?!"
"I'm trying to save mana."
" 'trying to save mana' MY ASS!! NOW LET ME DOWN!"
"Shut up. I'll knock you out."
"I DON'T CARE!!! LET ME GO!"

Yuno lifted off the air, trying his very best to hold Asta on his shoulder who was squirming and slapping around like a fish.

Langris sighed as his eye twitched.
So annoying.

He too took off on his broom.