Chapter 21 ~ Call

CHAPTER 21 ~ CALL 

Recap:  

I shifted, using up my last bit of strength and then everything turned as black as my fur. 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* 

The next thing I knew was feeling a soft pillow and covers. I slowly opened my eyes and stared at a plain white ceiling with birds painted on it. My gaze dropped and I saw the baby-blue walls and the rest of the beds. 

In them, I could see shapes. I recognized three. The one closest to me was Alexis, across my bed lay Zeb and at the other end of the room, I vaguely made out Shasta's shape. I knew that if he was awake, he wiould be in agony for his eyes weren't as good as mine, and thus he couldn't see me.  

I carefully sat up. A sharp pain shot through my right arm and when I looked at it I found that it was bandaged. I flexed my shoulder. Ow, it must have twisted. I looked at my feet which were covered in boring, plain beige sheets.  

Next to my bed, I could see a little nightstand with a clock on it. 4:30 AM. Maybe one of the others had already woken up. 

"Alexis," I hissed. 

"What," she replied.  

"Where are we?" 

"In a hospital in San Francisco. The California Pacific Medical Center. We were found on the beach by the lifeguard, who called an ambulance." 

How long have you been awake?" I asked her. 

"Since yesterday at twelve. The nurses were very worried about us. I twisted my ankle, you twisted you shoulder, Zeb sprained his hip and Shasta has a nasty cut that goes from his hand to his shoulder blade. The doctors were wondering what had caused that." 

I was shocked at that information. I moved one leg from under the cover and was shocked to see that it had some cuts and bruises. The other was in the same state. I got up, stood there shakily, and finally dared to take my first step. 

I immediately fell to the ground and was hoisted up by Alexis, who was cursing at my stupidity. 

"What made you think that you could walk after three days of unconsciousness?" she scolded. 

I laughed, letting out all the stress I felt. The sound bounced of the walls and in his far away bed, Shasta sat up.

"Namir? Where are you? Are you ok?" he asked. 

I sighed. Of course. Always put your mate first.  

"I'm here. I only have a sprained shoulder," I told him. 

I heard him get up when I told him about my arm. I also felt an urge to get up and walk to his his bed to tend him and be with him. A whish of air whistled through the room, pushing me and Shasta down, back on our beds. 

When I looked for the source of the wind, I saw that Zeb sat on the edge of his bed, both hands pushed down in an effort to keep us down. I finally managed to move a hand and the water from the flower vase flew straight into his face. 

The wind disappeard and I was free. I got up, held on to the bed and ordered the water to come. It came and wrapped itself around my feet. I let go and gently glided across the room to Shasta's bed. I reached him and his arms immediately grabbed me in a hug. 

I hugged him back and felt safe. His warm arms felt so nice and protective, that I never wanted to leave them again. But I had too. Soon, too soon, I felt a hand on my shoulder, pulling me away from my mate. I struggeled against it and Shasta's arms also tried to pull me back.