Chapter 1

Dedicated to @@a_complicated_life. Thanks for editing the chapter.

Pic of Lenora on side.

''But dad-'' Lenora voiced through the phone, desperately hoping that her father was not heading to what she feared upon hearing the news of her engagement. 

''No Nora,'' her father cut her off, his voice frustrated. ''Listen here. I want you to come here, be at my side, help me in my business and finally take over our companies after a while. I am getting old Nora, and I want to hand over my business to my only heir,'' her father continued, ignoring her words of protest as if he was talking to a five year old. 

''And hear me Nora, I do not, I repeat, I do not approve of your decision of marrying whomever it is at such a young age.'' Her father voiced sternly like a perfect businessman and not like someone who loved his daughter to death.

''But Winston proposed to me dad. I love him and he loves me. Is it bad that I want to marry someone I love and want to spent the rest of my life with? You have to understand dad, please!'' Lenora pleaded, not knowing how to react if her dad didn't give his approval for her marriage. She thought he will be happy for her, but she was wrong, apparently.

And young? She wasn't young; she was 24.

Her father muttered something like "Childish crushes' before continuing his lecture. 

''I don't understand Nora, and I don't intend to. All I am saying is for you to forget whatever it is in there and to take the earliest flight to here so we can start over."

Is he serious? He cannot ask her to do something like that. What about Winston, her marriage and happily ever after? She wasn't going to give up everything so that her dad could dump all his business on her head.

''No dad,'' she said, her voice quivering although she tried to keep her voice steady. ''I am not going to come over there, nor am I going to back off from my decision of marrying Winston.'' She said all this in one breath, not being accustomed to retaliating against her father.

''Are you sure Lenora?'' Her dad used her full name and his question held a tone of warning, as if asking her to reconsider her decision.

''Yes dad,'' she whispered, afraid of the after effects of her decision but not willing to step back from her plans. 

Her dad released a long sigh before voicing her worst fears. "I didn't think you were capable of taking such rash decisions of your own Lenora,'' her dad said with a tone of disappointment that saddened her. She didn't want her father to be disappointed in her but be proud of her, like always.

''Anyway, it is your life, and you can decide to live it any way you want.'' Her father's voice was so cold that it surprised her. She wasn't familiar of her cold-hearted father, she always knew her father to be kind and loving. But her father has been full of surprises since her mother's death. The abrupt decision to settle in New York all alone and leaving behind his family and friends majored among his irrational surprises.

''But I warn you Lenora, I do not approve of your decision. If you choose to go against me then God forbid me, I want nothing to do with you. I will disown you, Lenora and I will spend the rest of my life as if I don't have such a daughter. It is better.'' She couldn't believe her father would even say such things. It seemed to her like he wasn't her father at all, but a monster in disguise.