50

KUNLE

Confused with the earlier events, I stood, watching my sister's back as she walked further into the hallway that led to her room. Resumption was on its way and my parents are yet to resolve their differences. Hearing echos of voices from my sister's room, I contemplated on whether to just sit down and stay put where I was or go and find out what was happening. When I realized the argument going on in the  room was becoming more heated, I stood.

"You know that is not what I mean mum." I heard my sister whimpering as I placed my hand on the door knob.

"Then what do you mean?" My mum asked screaming.

"Election is around the corner and you told me yourself that he has a better chance at winning this time." My sister explained and opened the door to meet my mum sitting on the bed with a towel around her body and my sister still trying to unstrap her shoe.

"And so, do you think I have not done my research on that lady he has been dating?" Mum asked, glanced at me and looked back at my sister waiting for her reply. "She is the reason why he has the chance at winning, she has a brother who is from the same constituency as your father. The brother is politically inclined and that the reason your father has decided to date his sister for his support." She explained. Not only does the lady in question have a political god mother as a sister, she also has a brother who is very influential.

"But mum isn't asking dad to stop now, too sudden? He has put a lot of effort and energy into the whole process from day one."

"And I am the one who hasn't done anything either abi? I go to women political meetings, attend their functions and even give them expensive clothes from my boutique as gifts, all because I want to convince them that my husband is the best choice and what do I get from your father?" She asked starting at me and my sister then continued. "I get stabbed in the back and who even knows, he will sleep and wake up on his swearing in day and decide to introduce her as his wife." She concluded and stood up while Kemi stared at me, expecting me to say something that will calm the situation.

"But mum what if you give it some thought. You have always wanted to be the senator's wife." I tried convincing her, remembering those times she bragged about things she will get done once he wins.

"I can forget about all of them, since my family is involved but wait a minute." She raised her two index fingers. "Why do I suddenly have the feeling that you two are siding with your father on this?" She stared at me expecting a reply but I kept quiet not knowing what to say. Standing there, I realized that even though my dad has been promiscuous he is still my blood and I see no reason why I should take sides at this stage, instead I am supposed to create an avenue for both of them to come back together before further crisis engulfs the family and it will be unfair for my dad to let go his political ambition.

"Mum, we are not taking sides here, I for one want you two back together as you used to be." Kemi replied after a long period of silence. She must have been given the whole issue some thought, I listened attentively as she stood up and walked to mum. "Mum..." She laid emphasis on the word and elongated it. "It  has not been easy seeing you stay in the room all day long, crying, sleeping and it has not been easy for me not seeing dad at home and you two behaving as sweet as anything. Do you know Kunle will resume at any time from now? Please resolve this issue for our sake. Please mum." She pleaded and my mum who already had tears gathering in her eyes pulled her into a tight hug and signalled to me to join them. With a smile plastered on my face,  I wrapped my hand around two out of the three most important feminine figures in my life.

***

After talking to Todun about our preparation towards school resumption which was just a day or two ahead, depending on when we decide to go, I laid down on the bed and stared at the white ceiling with flowery patterns on it. Music played from the black coloured Mp3 placed on my reading table and I hummed along. There has been a little changes since dad and his relatives came visiting. Mum has come out of  her shell and even went to her boutique the previous day. She was back to her usual jovial and lively self, talking to Todun's mum all day long has also been added to one of her hobbies.