Chapter Sixty-Two

Jessica and her family spent the next two years trying to jog Bernard's memory. Visits from Charlie and the rest of the family wouldn't do it. Even seeing his own kids didn't work. Touring the workshop only made him feel confused and upset as he realized how much had changed. His own house almost sent him into a panic attack the first time he saw it, since it was so different than he remembered. Things really started to change when it became clear that Bernard's memories would not be returning anytime soon. Curtis was officially promoted to Head Elf under the agreement that if Bernard's memory ever came back he would return to the position. This left open Curtis' old position as the Keeper of the Christmas Handbook.

"How will you choose your replacement?" Jess asked during their summer Department Heads meeting.

"Well there's usually a Chain of Command to follow in these situations." He explained. "I can choose my replacement based on one of three criteria. One criteria is age; meaning the next oldest elf would take over the position."

"Another option," Quintin volunteered, "Is to hold a trial. We open the position up to anyone who would be interested in the job. It's lengthy processes with lots of debates and open discussions. That's how Bernard became keeper of the handbook."

"The last option is my favorite." Judy piped up. "It's called the Test of Belief. The Heads of all the departments, including Santa and the Head Elf, gather for a vote. They each cast a ballot for who their department thinks is the best candidate. That's how Curtis became keeper of the handbook."

"But how does each department decide who to vote for?" Jess wanted to know. "What's the criteria for the Test of Belief?"

"You're suppose to vote for the elf who most exemplifies the guidelines of the Christmas Handbook." Earnest, the Head of the Stables, explained. "Not just who follows the rules, but who also truly believes in the reasons behind the pages. Since a large part of the Number Two elf's job is boosting moral throughout the North Pole. They're also suppose to be knowledgeable in all things both at the North Pole and around the world."

"I think that's the fairest way to choose." Curtis decided. "Choosing only based on age disqualifies many elves who deserve a chance. And like Quintin said, trials are always long and dragged out. So Test of Belief it is. I think we should cast this vote as soon as possible. So let's postponed today's meeting rejoin in...I don't know an hour? Does that give everybody enough time to track down your teams?" The department heads nodded and murmured sounds of agreement.

One hour later the meeting was reconvened and a vote was cast. The results ended in a three way tie between Judy, Quintin, and Jessica. Judy it seemed, had been chosen by many of the teams because she was the next oldest elf at the North Pole. Quintin had been elected because of his never wavering ambitions. He was always creating, thinking and evolving. Lastly, Jess had been selected for her spirit, determination and character.

"So what happens in the event of a tie?" Scott questioned. As per the regulations for the Test of Believe he and Curtis had both been present for the vote.

"Well, neither of us have voted." The new Head Elf reminded him.

"That's not fair!" Santa complained. "I can't choose between you three! You're so great in such different ways."

"What if one of us doesn't want to job?" Judy volunteered. "I told the kitchen not to vote for me. I don't want to be promoted. I love it there." She insisted.

"I rather like my position in R&D as well." Quintin agreed. "I'm not sure I want to be Keeper of the book either."

"What? You guys...I can't...I don't know how to..." Jess tried to find to right words to convince the others of what a terrible idea it was to put her in charge, but the more she thought about it; maybe the idea wasn't so bad. All those years being married to Bernard she had certainly learned a lot about the North Pole's day to day operations. She'd even glanced at the Christmas Handbook once or twice. And no other elf truly understood day to day life outside of the Pole like she did.