Chapter Forty-Two

The Head Elf was seated at his desk exactly where his wife had expected to find him. His head was bent down in concentration as he frantically scribbled out the words to his latest speech. Jess leaned her back against the doorframe, crossed her arms and smiled. It had been a long time since she'd seen him like this. On that night, he looked exactly as he had the first Christmas she'd met him. Panicked, but somehow still calm and calculating. He was mumbling to himself as he scratched out half-thought out ideas and open ended compliments to each department. A stack of unanswered vacations requests were stacked up by his left elbow and an uneaten plate of cookies was close by his right. A disheveled cot still sat off in a corner, the sheets remained unfolded from Bernard's last long night in the office.

The only difference between Bernard's office eight years ago, and his office on that night, was the photo that sat on the corner of his desk. Jess couldn't see it from where she stood in the doorway, but she knew what it was; a photo of their wedding day. Jess was in her white wedding dress. almost camouflaged into the snowy background and Bernard was standing next to her in his black suit. A toothy 11-year-old version of Charlie was also in the picture with them holding six-month-old Lucy.

At ten years old, when her parents had gotten divorced, Jessica Calvin thought her family would be broken forever. She had never been so wrong. The Calvin family would not remain a shattered version of itself. Thirteen years later, the family was bigger and stronger than ever. Neil and Laura got married, Lucy had been born, then Jess and Bernard were married, now Scott and Carol. It hadn't been the easiest thirteen years, but it seemed safe to say things were getting better.

"Are you going to stand there and watch me all night?" Bernard tried his best to sound annoyed, but Jess could tell he was glad she was there.

"How's the speech coming?" She asked, kicking off of the wall and striding across the room.

"The usual, thanking all of the departments to for their hard work and dedication this holiday season. Crunching the numbers on the most successful departments. Tabulating the cost of loss versus profit, which will be considerably high this year thanks to Curtis' Toy Santa..." Bernard sighed. "But what are you doing in here? I thought you were showing Mrs. Claus around."

"Carol it seems is very interested in E.L.F.S. technology." Jess explained. "So Quintin offered to show her some max security stuff that her step-elf doesn't have access to."

"You know, I've been meaning to give you top security clearance for years. I just...misplaced the paperwork."

"Don't worry about it." Jess waved him off. "You know that tech stuff is more Charlie's thing. Besides I didn't come up here for security clearance."

"Oh? Then what did you come here for?"

"Watch you mostly. I never have time to watch you work." She said sitting down on his lap. "Plus I was hoping you could take a break, bring me to see Lucy?" Jess bit her lip nervously. "I mean your speech really isn't due until Dad gets back from delivering gifts and I told Charlie we'd meet him there so..."

"Sure." Bernard agreed. It had been some time since he'd let Jessica persuade him to do something. They had spent so much of the last year fighting, it'd be nice to do something together. He kissed her on the cheek. "Let's go visit Lucy."

It was still the middle of the night when Bernard and Jess arrived at the Miller's house. Scott and Charlie arrived only a few minutes afterwards and together the four of them came up with a plan to tell Lucy the truth about everything. Charlie and Jessie woke their sleeping sister and sat her on the living room couch between them.

"Watch the fireplace." Charlie instructed. His little sister leaned her head against him and was about to fall back asleep when Scott, dressed as Santa, and Bernard stepped through the fireplace.

"Uncle Scott?" The little girl asked. She seemed unsure at first because he looked so different than the last time she had seen him. But she knew that was definitely Bernard who had come through the fireplace with him. Which could only mean one thing."YOU ARE SANTA! I knew it was you all along!"

"And you were right." Scott grinned.

"Uncle Scott, your cheeks are all rosy. Are you feeling better?"

"I'm feeling much better." He promised her.

"Are Jessie and Bernard your elves?"

"Yes, Lucy, we are." Bernard answered her. "We couldn't explain before because we had to get back to the North Pole quickly. But we'd be happy to answer any questions you have."

"How come Charlie isn't an elf too?" Lucy wanted to know.

"Well Lucy, I used to be a regular little girl just like you and Bernard was my best friend." Her sister explained. "And when I grew up, I wanted to marry Bernard. But the only way I could marry him was if I became an elf." Lucy listened to Jessie's explanation and thought about it for a minute. Everything seemed to make sense to her. She had figured most of this stuff out on her own already.

"Is there anything else I should know?" She asked curiously.

"No, but I think Charlie has something that he wants to tell ya." Scott told her.

"You know Lucy, I was about your age when I found out my Dad was Santa." Charlie began. "But I couldn't tell anybody."

"So I can't tell anybody either?" Lucy questioned with sad eyes.

"No." Charlie replied. "But knowing it isn't a burden. It's a gift. You know most kids stop believing in Santa when they grow up, but I get to believe in him forever! And now so do you."

"And maybe someday you can come and visit us at the North Pole." Jess suggested. Bernard and Scott both agreed to that.

"Ok." Lucy agreed too. "But do I still get toys?" She asked Santa excitedly.

"If you fall asleep like the rest of the kids!" Scott promised. "Merry Christmas Lucy, Merry Christmas Charlie, I've gotta fly! Bernard, Jess, I'll see you back at the Pole!" With that Scott was sucked back up the chimney.

"We'd better get back too." Bernard said. He checked his watch, which was set to North Pole time. "I still have a few things to write up before Santa gets back. So the two elves said their good-byes after making sure Lucy was tucked into bed.

"Promise, me you'll stay out of trouble this year?" Jess begged her younger brother as she gave him a good-bye hug.

"Don't worry, I think my rebellious phase is behind me." Charlie assured her.

"You know how to contact us if you need anything." Bernard added as he and Charlie shook hands.

"Just a snowglobe's shake away." Charlie smiled. "You two take care of each other, alright. Dad couldn't get through Christmas without either of you."

"Don't we know it." Jess laughed and the two elves disappeared from sight.