Chapter Fifty-Three

"What's this meeting about?"

"I'm not sure, Curtis said it was mandatory..." It was six months before Jess and Bernard's twin babies were scheduled to arrive. The elves of the North Pole had been called to meet around the main workshop floor. It hadn't taken long for the vast population to finish their current task and gather at the base of the main staircase. At the top of the stairs Carol, Scott, Curtis, and Bernard each stood, waiting to give their individual reports. Jess was off to one side with the other department heads taking a head count and making sure all members of her paint team were present at the meeting. Once all the elves were accounted for, Scott addressed the crowd.

"Good afternoon everyone." He greeted. "Listen, I'm sorry to drag you all away from your work. I know most of you are just getting back from your vacations and that your trying to get back into the swing of things, but the busy season is almost upon us. So that means, as I'm sure many of you have guessed by now, It's time for our annual holiday meeting. Normally this is the part where I turn things over to Bernard, but he's asked to got last this year...so Carol, I guess this is your opportunity..."

"Uh, hi. Hello!" Carol gave a shy wave. "I just wanted to say now that the school has re-opened, it will be open year round. So please send your kids, or if there's something you want to learn come see me! I'm more than happy to help with research. And as Christmas gets closer, please don't be afraid to ask me for help. With anything really." After her very short speech Carol took a step back. The floor was then open to all department heads for annual progress reports. At last it was Bernard's turn to speak up.

The Head Elf started off with his usual pre-Christmas speech. He talked about how every elf at the North Pole was essential to Christmas preparations. Without individual toy departments, painters would have nothing to paint. Without kitchen elves no one would be able to eat. The lecture spanned on and on as Bernard continued to speak of each department's importance. He then listed off some of the new toys that would be manufactured that year and reminded the department heads that there would be a follow up meeting for them once the main meeting concluded.

"And lastly," Bernard sighed, looking up from the sheets of parchment gripped between his hands. "If you all will permit me, I'd like to address some personal business as well." He now held the stack of parchment at his side, deciding to speak candidly, something he'd never done before. "Not only are we about to begin our busiest season of the year but my own family is expanding. And so that means my time will be all the more valuable. So I've decided to enact a long forgotten rule from the Christmas Handbook. A murmur rumbled through the elf population as everyone began to worry what outdated rule Bernard had decided to bring back.

"Now, now, there's no need to panic." He assured. "We all know the Head Elf is in charge of the day-to-day operations here at the North Pole. But even a Head Elf needs help once in awhile." At this the elves chuckled. In the hundreds of years Bernard had been in charge, he had never once asked anyone for help. "According to the Christmas Handbook, the Head Elf is allowed to select a temporary Co-Head Elf should he/she feel assistance is required. This Co-Head Elf will share my responsibilities until midnight on Christmas Day. They will be my eyes and ears when I'm unavailable. When you have questions or issues you will be able to go to my Co-Head Elf for assistance. So, pending Santa's approval, I've selected Curtis to be my Co-Head Elf."

"Me?" Curtis mouthed in shock. It was clear to everyone else that Bernard had not discussed this with Curtis beforehand. Co-Head Elf. Of course Curtis had been waiting for an opportunity like this since he was a baby elf, but could he really handle all of the pressure?

"I think that's a great idea, Bernard." Scott agreed immediately. He clapped one hand on Curtis' shoulder and the other on his son-in-law. "What do you say Curtis? You must be itching for a chance to be in charge." Curtis couldn't help himself, the opportunity was just took exciting and the number two elf began to grin uncontrollably. Bernard could have named any elf at the pole to be his Co-Head Elf, including his wife, yet he had trusted the title to Curtis.

"I accept. Thank you so much for the opportunity." He nodded with a wide smile.

"Don't mention it." Bernard waved him off. "Let's just keep the reindeer in the stables alright?" An echo of chuckles wrapped around the room. "I have just one last thing to add and then you all may return to your regularly scheduled work day. For this announcement I require some help from my beautiful wife, Jessica?" Gripping the railing of the main staircase, Jess joined her family at the top. She looped an arm around one of Bernard's and smiled.

"So everyone's been asking Bernard and I, 'What are you going to name the babies?' and 'How soon before we have official names for Holly and Jolly?' Well, I'm pleased to announce my husband and I have finally gotten around to naming our twins. Our baby girl will be named Noel Holly Calvin. Noel as in Christmas, and Holly well since that's what we've been calling her anyhow." Almost immediately claps, whoops and nods of approval erupted from the elves down below. Sure some of them had been hoping for a more traditional elf name, but they had to admit that Noel Holly had such a pretty sound to it.

"And our son," Bernard began once the noise and chatter started to die down. "Will be named Nicholas Charles. Nicholas for St. Nick and Charles both from Charles Dickens and Jess' brother Charlie." Another set of approving noises followed the announcement of the second twin's name. Bernard let the crowd celebrate the name announcements and Curtis' new position before dispersing them back to work.

"All right everyone, busy season is just getting started, so let's get out there and get as far ahead of our projected production time as possible. My department Heads, please meet Curtis and myself in my office in twenty minutes, everyone else please return to your work. It's going to be a Holly, Jolly Christmas this year." The Head Elf smirked at his own joke before walking off to his office without another word.