43 | Ukhty

Hamza

"Hamza is this you I'm seeing?!" Umma beeseched.

"Yes mummy." I dropped on my knees and hugged her.

"How are you?" She cried, "Three years! Where did you go to?"

"I got transferred to Japan last year. After I left the house, a company gave me a job and after working hard they promoted me. That promotion is the reason I left the country."

"I called and messaged but you never replied."

"I changed my number. Stop worrying Umma. I am fine. How is Yusra, Zahra and Fadila?"

"They're all fine. Come in and I'll tell you all that has been happening. I can't believe you're back!" She hugged me and rubbed my head.

"Where is Baba?" I asked after we both sat in the living room.

"He's sleeping upstairs. Ina kayan ka? You're here with just these small bags."

"I now stay with Imam. That was where I was staying after Baba sent me away. This is a gift for you, Zahra and Fadila." I handed her three of the tiny bags I brought.

"Oh wow! Thank you my son. Imam is a really nice boy. Please invite him for lunch tomorrow. All your sisters will be here."

"Ok mummy. So where is Zahra and Fadila."

"Eat first. They're all fine."

"I'll only eat if you'll eat too."

"I've eaten already."

"Eat to motivate me. Lead by example." I joked.

"You naughty boy. You haven't changed." She wagged her finger at me.

"I'll eat. Don't worry. Adama!" She called, "Bring the fried rice and chicken with a large chi exotic juice box."

"Mummy you still remember my favourite." I smiled contently.

I was finally home.

Three damn years and nothing has really changed except that there was a new addition to Baba's fleet of cars.

"You're my son. How won't I remember?"

We finished eating in less than twenty minutes then Fadila came down, rubbing her sleepy eyes, yawning.

"Mama I need to go and buy som..." She screamed, "Yaya Hamza!"

She hugged me, "I missed you. How have you been? You look well."

"Thank you. I missed you too. I messaged you today, didn't you see it?"

"Both of you still communicate?" Umma asked, furious.

"Yes." Farida answered remorsefully.

"How?!"

"Mummy I gave only her, Imam and Bilal my new number."

Baba came downstairs. His reaction was epic. He had to squint to be sure I was the one.

"Get out." He said calmly.

I didn't feel the need to put up a fight so I stood up and made a beeline to the door.

"What do you mean by get out?" Umma implored.

"I'm not a child so don't expect an explanation from me." He climbed back up the stairs.

"Hamza wait!" Umma and Fadila said in unison.

"Baba doesn't want me here. I have to go."

"I'll speak to him. Just wait here with your sister."