35 | The Broke Life

Hamza

So...

I'm officially broke, homeless and jobless. Three of the things I detest the most.

Imam let me stay in a room in his two bedroom bungalow since his roommate couldn't pay his rent. I didn't have to pay any amount because he owned the house.

I never knew getting a job was hard till these past few weeks. After Yusra's wedding, I had to leave the house to fend for myself. To think that my father would change his mind during that period.

So far, I've visited three establishments. The first is a television network, the second, a travelling agency and lastly, a petroleum company.

None of the first two accepted my application due to my inability to provide what was required of me based on my level of experience and degree. I mean, who wouldn't want me? I graduated with a first class but they all required graduates of courses which were in no way my field of study. The petroleum company asked me to return a week later since I was able to scale through with my distinguished curriculum vitae.

So my dreams may not come true. But at least I may have a job at the end of the day! Insha Allah.

I woke up really early just so I could take a proper bath and plan for what's to come of today.

Nigerian Initiative For Petroleum Exporting Countries (NIPEC) is an Oil and Gas company that was formed by six African countries. Initially, it belonged to Senegal but has since become a conglomerate with Nigeria, Ghana, Botswana, Egypt and Angola.

Not to sound a bit cocky, but I have a great feeling that I'll be accepted today. The managing director of the company directly called me yesterday evening while I was having dinner with a few friends at Diplo.

I prayed endlessly on several nights to the Almighty so they would accept me because that was my saving grace.

Now that baba has made the pronouncement of my exile from the house I'll try my best to work for a better future for myself since he has made it clear that he won't lay a finger to help my situation.

I quote 'When you go out to fend for yourself you'll feel the pain of loosing ones parents. It's similar to her parents when they realized they'd lost their child. My refusal to help you financially is just to teach you Independence. Come back when you've succeeded in becoming a better man.', something I never thought I'd ever hear from my father.

Now that I seek prosperity in this chaotic world, I have no one. Imam has helped me with accommodation and some money but I can't keep relying on friends. Can I?

There's Bilal! But he has also done a great deal for me. He and his Step-Father helped me by sending my curriculum vitae to all the organizations T&K Housing Limited was affiliated to.

Who else do I have? No one. Yusra's husband is as stingy as one can get and she is in no position to help me as well as my other sisters. My mother, despite her absence is still wrathful as her only son has been kicked out of his family home. She terribly misses me and I feel the same too. At this point, she's the only one who occasionally sends me money whenever someone goes to visit her.

I joined Imam to eat breakfast at Flavours For More today.

Imam! How can I forget what he has done? He offered me a job also as the branch manager of the Wuse 2 branch but I politely rejected it because I knew the current manager and he was a very nice man. If he lost this job, his family's wellbeing will be put in a state of jeopardy!

What do I do now?

I just sit and enjoy the waffles and hot chocolate I ordered as Imam left to discuss some issues with some of his workers.