Chapter Six

Chapter Six

All Rights Reserved

*Natalie's POV*

As my eyes keep producing tears, I rush over to my aunt. I sit down next to her and rest my hand that isn't in hers on the blanket Penny made.

"Aunt Dorothy," I whisper and I can see she still has some life left in her. My tears drench her blanket and I feel embarrassed. Why did she need to see me this way? She uses her free hand and weakly puts it on my face.

"Natalie, there is nothing wrong with right now. I'll never forget you," she begins and drops her hand. "I love you," we state in unison as her eyes close and her hand falls from mine. The monitor overhead releases a loud beep and tears start falling faster. "No," I say and put my head down into the blanket.

"It's ok, Natalie. It really is," Penny says patting my back and I look up into her watery eyes and tear stained face. I probably look 10 times worse.

"I want to believe that," I breathe. I hiccup from the crying.

"Nat, this isn't something to get upset over. It's done. It can't be changed," my mother explains, though I can tell she doesn't believe those words at all. Her face is tear stained and tears were still threating to spill from her eyes any second.

"Then why do we have to stay here and remind ourselves of it? We can stay for a funeral next week then leave! I want to see Anthony. He'll know what to say," I reply and Penny shakes her head.

"What is there left to say? Anthony will tell you everything we're telling you. There isn't a different way to tell you to move on. You have to believe it yourself no matter who tells you," Penny explains. I shake my head.

"No," I begin. "Anthony would say something different. I don't know what and I don't know how, but he would. I know him. Everything he says is music to my ears. He has the power to make me upset or happy with just a few simple statements."

"Oh and Niall can't?" Penny asks and I shrug.

"How am I supposed to know?" I reply and exit the room. I start crying and it feels like my world is being torn apart piece by piece. No one understands me right now. The only person who would is Anthony and he is so far away. 

I look at my phone and notice that it's almost midnight. How did it get so late?

I pull my knees to my chest and sink my head in the gap. Tears start falling faster now and everything seems awful. It feels like no one can save me. Not Niall. Not even Anthony at this moment. I feel hopeless and sad. My aunt is gone and my best friend's understanding of me is gone. My heart is in two. It's more bruised and broken than Evan's cheating caused. I never thought it was possible.

I feel the presnce of someone walking by and I try to be quiet for a moment with my face still covered. I don't want anyone to think I am crying, but it is obvious.

I feel the presence walk over and slide down the wall next to me. I try to think of all the people it could be. Penny, my mom, maybe even Niall are a few good options. The presence puts a hand on my left knee and I can tell it is masculine. It has to be Niall.

I lift my head up slowly and to my astonishment, it isn't Niall. It's Liam.

"Natalie, what's wrong?" he asks removing his hand from my knee to around my shoulders pulling me closer to him.

"My aunt has brain cancer and that's why I am here and well, she just died while I was holding her hand," I explain and the tears feel like they're coming back. My eyes fog up and Liam pulls me into a hug. I rest my head on his shoulder and get his shirt wet just as he did to me.

"I don't know what to say," he whispers and I give a light smile. That's what I haven't been hearing. All those other people tried to understand me, but they couldn't. Liam simply doesn't understand, but he didn't have to. He didn't try to force it. He already knew that he didn't completely undrstand, but he didn't need to. It just came natural to him somehow. Kind of like Anthony. We could talk and talk and I didn't expect a big inspirational speech. All I wanted was for him to tell me to cry and just let it all out because he didn't need me to hear big speeches with somehow a point to them. He knew I just wanted someone to show me they care. That's what Liam is doing and I feel so much better already. Liam probably doesn't even know how much effect he has on me right now.

"Thank you," I say and and he just tightens his grip. I tighten mine as well. Liam is almost like an Anthony substitute, even though no one could replace Anthony. It is just for a little while.

I let go of Liam and he does the same. I start blushing and he just smiles. "Do you want to know something?" he asks and I start blushing even more. 

"What?" I reply and his chocolate brown eyes make his smile that much more inviting.

"You're still in your Foot Locker uniform," he informs me and I look down at the red shirt and light brown pants.

*Liam's POV*

 As I inform Natalie that she still has her Foot Locker uniform on, she blushes and looks towards her feet. She lets out a slight giggle.

"Gosh, so much has been happening that I totally forgot that I was still wearing this," she admits and her cheeks find a weird shade of red, but it looked cute on her. She is definitely not the typical girl that walks into my life. She's different and I didn't see it at first. I thought she would be so great with Niall, but her personality is everything I look for in a girl and when I needed someone to be there for me after the break up between Danielle and me, she was there. It was almost like fate wanted Niall to get attacked so she'd come to me. I feel like there needs to be something more between us soon.

"Let's go out there and get you something else to wear," I suggest and she smiles.

"Good thing I have enough money," she responds pulling out her wallet. I push down her wallet and she looks at confused.

"I'll buy it for you," I state. But, she shakes her head.

"I really couldn't because-"

"No no no no no no. I will buy it for you. As my Christmas present," I interrupt her and she smiles.

"Well, when you put it that way..." she trails off. Then, my phone rings and I put my hand over the speaker in a lame attempt to make it quieter so I don't look rude.

"I'm so sorry, I have to take this," I explain as I look at the Caller ID. It's Paul. I walk a little further down the corridor for privacy. "Hello?"

"Liam! I have good news for you and the other guys. They didn't answer their phones so I decided to call you," his voice replies.

"Ok, what is it?" I ask.

"I am giving you the rest of December off. You can do whatever you want from this moment to December 31st at 11:59pm," he replies and I smile. I can spend time with Natalie after the holidays.

"Thank you and I will tell the guys," I reply and hang up not even waiting for Paul to answer. I don't care. I am so happy. I have to tell Natalie.

"Natalie!" I shout and run to her. She stands up and looks confused.

"What?" she asks a little catiously.

"I can stay here until the 23rd," I explain and hug her. Today is the 21st, well, technically the 22nd, but still. 

"I'm staying here until January when I have to go back to North Carolina for school," she responds.

"How about after I spend the holidays with my family, I'll come back here and spend some time with you," I suggest and she shrugs.

"I guess, but don't you want to see your family for a little longer?" she asks.

"I can always see my family another time, but I may not see at all in the future. I want to make this last," I reply and the moment became silent, but a good siilent. Not awkward, not uncomfortable, but good. I am staring into her green eyes and I can't think of anything better. I want to kiss her. It seems like the perfect moment.

"So, are we going to get my outfit?" she asks ruining the moment. I should've taken the chance, but I guess I was too much of a coward.

"Uh, yes," I say and she leads me to the elevator.