Ch 4. Fables of U n I

Once upon a time there lived an ugly frog in the cold black lake in a deep rain forest. The frog was so fond of the water but he never went in too deep. The frog had a shiny slimy skin that would glow like a blue diamond whenever the moon rose behind the highest mountain. He always cherished the moment when the moon came out. Unfortunately for him, it occurred only once a season. The only downside was, his skin would start vaporising if he stayed in the dark waters for some time.

Say most of the things living being do is because they can. Likewise, what a frog would do if he wouldn't swim. The poor frog always followed the moon tides and dove in deep but always came out injured.

One day he found a new waterlily had grown in his home. Incidentally, it was the time of year when frog would glow hence the lily became the most fascinated viewer of the unique phenomenon.

The lily was a thing of beauty on its own. Dazzling white as the annual moon itself. Lily became too absorbed in the diamond spectrum and offered the frog, she would help him swim deep into the dark lake if he agreed to show her his color again. She gave him a secretion that coated all his body and the frog easily went down to the bottom of the lake. A miracle happened. Every day, the frog went in deeper and came out glowing brighter than before. They both became happy.

Little by little, the frog was losing his life force. A month passed, the glow became too much on his skin and he became all wrinkled and dull. Lily was in the deal for the pretty blue light. She became sad.

Lily said her farewells and disappeared into thin air just how she was born. She was in for the glimmer. She had her fill.

The poor frog though, he still had a long way to go. He lost his color, his only treasure. He lost all his strength to go even near water. He dug himself a small grave near the lake he always admired so much and let his body rot in pain and writhe in agony, maggots feeding on him savagely, fungi and bacteria slowly decomposing his stinky body. He passed away without ever getting a chance to feel the waters he had loved so much all his life again. But he didn't die too sad. He still carried in his memories, the vivid experience of his adventurous water trip. That was enough to make his eternal sleep peaceful for him.