Chapter 14- Journey Full of Dangers

It had been awhile since I saw anything in the wave. However, it wasn't like I wasn't allowed to see anything. I just hadn't went to the wave for awhile. After knowing that help had arrived to bring Rilian back home, I no longer found a need to watch.

I still worried that Caspian would never see Rilian again. Aslan had promised me he would but Caspian's time was running out. Still, I stayed inside Aslan's Country. Inside the Golden Gates where others anxiously waited for loved ones to enter. One day, Caspian and Rilian would eventually walk through those gates. We would be together again for all eternity.
___________________________
Eustace's Point-Of-View

The Parliament of Owls had set us on a journey to find the "Lost Prince" as they called him. They had told Jill and me the story of how the Prince had gone missing. He went looking for the serpent that killed his mother. The owls had even explained to us how she died. But they never told us her name.

I wish I had met her. Based on what they told me, she seemed like the best person one could meet. Ana probably liked her too and was happy for Caspian.

That made me curious about her, but I never asked the owls. They surely would've mentioned her if they knew her. That lead me to believe one of two things happened to her. One, she had died in a battle shortly after returning home. Or two, she travelled only with Caspian but kept hidden from the public, not wanting any fame. That seemed like the person she was. I hoped it was the latter because I would have been so sad for the rest of our journey if she had passed.

"Eustace? Eustace?!" Jill shouted pulling me from my thoughts.
"What is it Jill?" I responded more harshly than intended.
"I said 'It's getting quite cold.' How long do think it will take to reach the other side of this bridge?" She had to shout to be heard over the wind.

I didn't respond for I had no answer. It would take quite awhile though, because the bridge was built by giants. It didn't seem big to them at all.

So we just trudged on. The wind was quite sharp and cold. I nearly lost my balance several times. Puddleglum, the Marsh-wiggle and our guide, kept walking so we followed.

At last, we reached the top of the bridge and could see down the further slope. There seemed to be an old ancient giant trail that lead straight into the mountains. Many of the stones were missing and had been replaced with patches of grass. But what I noticed the most were the two people riding towards us on the path. Well, I thought they were humans but they could've been anything. They were too far away to tell for sure. They seemed to be grown-ups.

"Keep moving," Puddleglum told us. "Toward them. Anyone we in a place like this could be an enemy or a friend. We mustn't let them think we're afraid," he added as we headed down the slope towards them.

It was much easier going down the slope than going up. The lower we went, the warmer it seemed. Also, I noticed the wind wasn't as sharp. By the time we stepped off the edge of the bridge, the two strangers were much closer. I could tell they were humans now.

One was a knight in complete armor with his visor down. His armor and his horse were black. He had no crest on his shield, and in Narnia I knew that was strange. But we weren't exactly in Narnia anymore so I didn't take much notice to it.

The other person was a lady on a beautiful white horse. Her horse was stunning and I immediately wanted to pet it. But I resisted the temptation and looked at the woman. She wore a long, flowing, dazzling green dress and rode side-saddle. Though her horse was beautiful, she was more beautiful and I couldn't look away.

"Good day, travelers," she said with her soft sweet voice. "The two of you are young travelers to walk this rough trail," she told Jill and me.
But Puddleglum was prepared for anything. He wanted to be about his business. "That is true, Ma'am."
"We're looking for the ruined city of giants," Jill told her.
"That ruined city? What a strange place to look for. What will do there once you find it?" the lady questioned.
"We've got to-" Jill began but was cut off by Puddleglum.
"Excuse us Ma'am but we don't know you or your friend-who is very quiet might I add-and you don't know us. If you don't mind, we would prefer not to discuss our business with strangers."
The lady laughed a very musical and beautiful laugh. "Well children, it seems as though you've a wise and solemn old guide with you. I have no problem with him keeping his business to himself but I'd tell you mine."

She gave us directions to another giant city. Not the ruined city. We were told those giants were harsh and cruel. The others were supposed to be much nicer. She told us it would be best to spend the winter there or at the very least, take a break from traveling for a few days. As she spoke and explained the city, the more I wanted to go. I wanted to sleep in a bed again and I actually said it aloud.

"Yes!" Jill said agreeing with me. "And will be able to have a nice hot bath!" Then turning to the woman she said "Do you think we'll be able to stay? We don't know them either."
"All you need to tell them is 'She of the Green Kirtle salutes them by you and has sent them two Southern children for the Autumn Feast'."
"Oh thank you so much!" Jill and I both told her.
"But be careful. You do not want to arrive at Harfang too late. They shut their gates a few hours after noon. It's their custom to not open their gates to anyone after they've been closed, no matter how hard you would knock."

Once again, Jill and I thanked her. I noticed that Puddleglum bowed politely but it was a stiff bow. Then her and the silent Knight began leading their horses up the steep slope of the bridge.

Once they were out of earshot, Puddleglum expressed his concerns.
"I wonder where she's coming from and to where she is going. Not the sort of thing you would expect to meet in the wilds of Giantland, is she? I bet she's up to no good!"

Jill and I, however strongly disagreed. We even told him so. Still, he wouldn't change his mind. He even tried to tell us that there could've have been nothing in that suit of armor! Or at least nothing that we could see. He always expected the worst and he was always wrong. I was getting quite annoyed with it.

Still we headed to Harfang, against Puddleglum's wishes. He expressed his complaints the whole journey. We were supposed to listen to Aslan's Signs but all we wanted was a warm bed and a hot bath. Puddleglum kept trying to keep us on track but we refused. If only we had listened to him, we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

Now we were running from the giants. We had discovered that they had planned to cook us for the Autumn Feast. Puddleglum was trying to get us slowly out of the castle and away before anyone noticed. However, the hunting party had returned and spotted us. We took off running.

Jill was far behind Puddleglum and I. I could hear the King giant ordering his men to capture us. There were hounds following us and we rushed out of Harfang the way we came. Eventually I saw Puddleglum dart into a crevice. I followed and Jill arrived shortly afterward. Then once Jill was inside, we used stones to fill the opening, hiding us.

We were hiding in the dark and holding hands. Puddleglum led us through the crevice. We had no idea where we were going but it was away from the giants.

Then suddenly, Puddleglum slipped down a slope and pulled the rest of us with him. It was a long and rough slope. You couldn't stand up because you would've just fell and continued sliding. We were moving fast and I was afraid of hitting the bottom. It would surely cause us harm. But all I could do was wait for the dreaded bottom of the slope.