Chapter 9- Ana Tells Rilian a Secret

It had been months since the incident in the woods. Glenstorm's arm healed nicely. Like me in the past, he had refused to use Lucy's cordial. No one really talked about it and seemed to try to forget. Caspian didn't though and I just couldn't. The harpy had left imprints on my shoulders. It hurt to raise my arms for a few weeks to shoot. Besides, I still had what the creature said to me implanted in my mind.

Caspian noticed something was up. Everytime he asked, I would tell him it was nothing. He had bigger things to worry about. I didn't need him to worry about what happened. However after about a month Caspian decided talk to me again. It was different than the usual conversation about what was bothering me.

"I just realized something unusual about the incident," he told me.
"What?" I questioned, confused.
"That creature..."
"What about him?" I replied not following what Caspian was trying to say.
"He let you go. You were lying underneath and he could've killed you. Instead he just leaned forward and flew off. Why?
"I-I......" I began to say before realizing I honestly didn't know. He had the opportunity to kill me but he didn't. I assumed it was a life for a life but maybe not.. "I don't know. Maybe he had orders. Like he couldn't kill me."
"What makes you say that?" Caspian said, curious.
"The impression he gave me. It seemed like he had orders to leave me unharmed. For the most part. At least for now."
"For now?"
"Yeah. He told me something right before he flew off. It bothered me for awhile but not anymore."
"What did he say?"
"He said... Wait a minute," I said acting like I needed to remember, "I don't remember. I'm sorry. It probably wasn't anything big," I told him lying.
"Very well, my love. I was just curious," he told me before walking away.

I hated hiding things from him. It wasn't fair to Caspian. He deserved to know what was going on. However I couldn't be trapped inside the castle. That's what he would do if he knew. Guards would be watching all the time and I wouldn't have anytime to myself anymore. I don't do well being locked inside and it made me wonder how I had lived in the Telmarine dungeon. Even though I still had more freedom than a prisoner, I felt trapped just like one.

That was the last time anyone in the castle discussed the incident, at least for awhile. Afterwards, Caspian seemed to forget as well. It was probably for the best. No one was worried and for the most part, we lived peacefully once again. We had even managed to stop the rebels from attacking again. They had been relinquished. However there could've been plenty more we didn't know about.

Now, almost two and a half years after the incident, I had almost forgotten about the threat. It was still in the back of my mind but I stopped worrying about it. Nothing had happened in the past year. I figured I was safe now.

Caspian trusted Rilian to travel by himself now. He had two birthdays since then making him sixteen. So he was allowed to travel by himself but not completely. Caspian never let anyone leave without some kind of protection. Even himself and the citizens of Narnia left with some form of protection. Everyone was allowed to leave the castle just not the village. Those that lived in the woods were probably the better fighters and they didn't find the need to have guards with them.

I felt much safer that way. We all did. Everyone that left as a group knew how to fight. And besides Rilian, many of us had been in a great number of battles. I still held the record for fighting in the most, not that I cared but everyone else seemed to.

I decided it was time to leave the castle and go for a ride. What the creature had said made me barely step out of the castle, let alone the village full of Narnians and Telmarines. But now seemed like a good time. Rilian wanted to come with me and I agreed.

The two of us enjoyed each others company. It was strange because neither of us really talked. There was no need unless something was bothering the other. Rilian always confided on me when something was wrong. He may have also confided in Caspian about different things but I wouldn't know. That was why I agreed to let him come along. In case he wanted to talk about something.

With us, we brought Drinian and a few others. Even with the protection, I had this strange feeling that I should bring Queen Susan's horn. Normally I didn't ignore those types of feelings, but I hadn't been myself lately. Between the attack a couple years ago and the words that kept floating around in my head at random times, I was on edge.

I also hadn't felt that well but I didn't say anything. Based on past experiences, I knew the reason so there was no need. It could've just been me wanting to bring it to feel safe. Besides my bow and arrows never left my side so I still had them.

After saddling the horses, we headed off.
I found it was best to visit Narnia about halfway through each season of the year. That way you could get all the beauty from it. However it, it was only May. The seasons were finally starting to adjust to the summer weather. I always thought the transition between Spring and Summer was beautiful. Everything was so full of life.

My favorite season was fall though. L. Narnia was always so beautiful in the fall. But, really, Narnia was beautiful any day of the year. However autumn always seemed to attract my attention more. Maybe it was all the different colors and the smell.

Rilian and I rode silently. Drinian and the others were behind us. The two of us could always sense when the other wanted to say something. I had for as long as I could remember and Rilian probably picked it up from me. Reading faces and sensing feelings were one of my many skills. But even after all these years, I still couldn't figure out certain faces.

Based on the silence between us, Rilian wanted to say something. I looked at him and waited to see if he would say anything. He kept looking forward, so a waited a little longer. When he didn't speak up, I decided to ask.

"Rilian.... What's on your mind?"
"Me? Oh....um... You," he replied sounding flustered.
"What about me?"
He hesitated as if he was afraid to ask. "You've been acting strange. Father acts like he doesn't notice and maybe he doesn't. But I do. Are you alright?"
"I'm fine. The past years have just been a little rough."
"Still after two years, you still act strange. For the first few months I thought it was because of the incident. However now I think it's something else."
"You're right," I sighed, knowing I had to tell him. "I didn't mean to act differently but what happened kept bothering me. Now I'm fine. I've never been better," I told him smiling sincerely.
"Then why have you been acting strange? If you don't mind me asking." Rilian quickly added the last part as to not offend me.
I knew Rilian would keep pressing. "If I tell you, you have to promise not to tell your father."
"I promise," Rilian answered intrigued and a bit worried.

I stopped the horses and told Drinian and his men to give us some privacy. He nodded and lead them away. However they didn't wander too far because of what had happened last time. Then I looked down at Lucille.

"Lu," when I called her that she knew I was serious. "You can't say anything either. Promise me," I told her.
"I promise, your Majesty," she replied.
"Good."

Then I looked at Rilian. I leaned in close to him. The few that had come with us might be in earshot. I had to whisper because it would limit the amount of people who knew. It would also limit the people who would tell Caspian, if they did.

"The reason I don't want you to tell your father is because it's too soon to tell. Besides, I don't want either of you to get your hopes up," I whispered in his ear. Lucille, being so close, could still hear.
"Okay..." Rilian said not following what I was trying to say.
"I think you might be a big brother."

Rilian was shocked. He didn't know what to say. I was worried that he might start panicking, grow worried about me. Instead he smiled and I sent a look of relief.

"I could have a younger brother? Or sister?" Rilian asked, trying to clarify.
"Maybe. But like I said, it's too soon to tell so don't say anything yet. Or get your hopes up. I might just be falling ill, but since I've gone through before and I am sort of a physician myself, I believe it's the former."
"I won't. I promise," he told me smiling. "I'm sure you're fine."