chapter iii

natalia scarlet dreyfus, or nat.
a chestnut brown head of soft locks with curtain bangs and a distinct pair of nipple piercings and a nose piercing. a very distinguishable persona. she wore minimal makeup, which she needed none, with a complexion of gold and earthy-toned eyes.

having known blue for nearly ten years, she's practically blue's family. both match one another's energy and mindset quite well to rarely have arguments or disputes. time has gotten the pair through the best and worst of times, which has never failed to keep them together through the ages.

nat, as mentioned, matches blue's energy. so, whilst blue's addiction may be to nicotine and marijuana, they share an addiction to caffeine and she follows with occasional slips of alcohol herself. unlike blue, however, she wasn't a worrier and was the less emotional being of the pair. nat's internal struggles were kept personal and forbidden, although blue was one of the few she'd trust to express her deepest thoughts. the duo keeps a well-balanced share of their strengths and weaknesses.

-

after blue had locked the door after her to leave for her commute, nat laid her head against the wall, staring at the multiple cheesy texts she'd received from milo. she made a face, expressing her displeasure in his cliche advances. it was too much. she left his texts open and switched apps to open a dating app she'd recently joined.
the multiple matches she'd gotten from good-looking guys were chances she hoped were better than her experience with milo, who she knew she'd have to turn down sooner than later. there was will, nick, or travis, who wasn't her type in looks but shared the same humor as she did. it was an interesting conversation and made her interested as he played along with her sarcastic comments.

too many of these matches, however, were questionable as hookup culture was just all too common in this generation. she'd dream of a man who wanted more than to look at a pretty face and to play games. the pet peeve she had the most was the new trend of "ghosting," where the person you're interested in begins not to return your texts and leaves without a trace.

"oh well," she thought to herself. "do i really want to be in a relationship anyway?" nat put her phone face down onto the floor. the sound of a truck nearby startled her for a moment, until she assumed that their u-haul truck was finally here. she was quick on her feet to get up and run out the door to wave the driver over. the guy reversed his truck after it had gone too far and parked it directly in front of the building. he was an older man, around nat's dad's age, and he was scruffy looking.
when he got out of the truck, he smiled at nat and didn't say a word. he only opened the latch to the back for her to move her things out.

"could you help me?" nat was confused, thinking that it would be an obvious service in addition to delivering the u-haul. instead, however, he shrugged and sat back in the driver's seat.

"i wasn't paid to."

nat furrowed her eyebrows, taken aback at how ridiculous this seemed. how was she supposed to move everything on her own? thinking about moving the sofa up the stairs was lethal. she stood unsure, staring at their furniture in the back of the truck.
as she contemplated a plan, a door opened in the apartment beneath nat and blue's to reveal a tall, young man around her age in a v-neck and jeans. a fluffy haired brunette who looked like trouble. "how lucky," nat thought.

"need any help?" he called out to her.

"if you have time," she responded, trying not to sound too eager. he jogged over, offering a hand with the sofa first. with each, he lifted the heavy loads and was courteous enough to let nat take the lighter luggage, such as the lamps or the lighter boxes of clothes or toiletries. sooner or later, everything from the truck was moved into the middle of the living room.