chapter i

"so, we made it."

"yep."

blue and nat laid on the gritty carpet, side by side, with their fatigued arms and legs stretched out.

their first apartment.

with two shitty jobs each, they finally made just enough to rent out a one bedroom apartment in a gritty wasteland in the middle of nowhere. at barely twenty one years old, both used to dream of financial stability and the satisfaction of being away from home as adults, but reality hit back harder than expected. 

"moving the bed in here's gonna be hell." blue sighed hopelessly, staring up at the ceiling. she squinted at what she assumed was probably asbestos-infested.

"i know. at least we have one big enough for the both of us." the sizing of the room was not big enough for a queen or for two twins, so they settled for natalia's used full sized mattress.

"do we have enough money to get lunch out today?"

"what do you think?" nat turned her head to get blue in her peripheral and shrugged. "i'd say it's store bought sandwiches again today."

"i have work at 5 until midnight. if you can hang around 'til then, i might be able to bring some cold leftover french toast," blue sat up and folded her legs into a criss-cross position. she thought to her last shift, the same routine of closing. the stale pot of coffee, the blinking neon signs, the rusty retro interior, and that same stinky smell of eggs oozing out from the kitchen. then, the sketchy, dark walk to her car after.

"i still don't get why you guys switched to serving breakfast twenty-four hours, it's not like anyone comes in for breakfast anyway."

"it's the new trend."

both girls were still and silent for a moment, then sighed simultaneously.

"sure, why not. i don't think we're in the position right now to turn down free food. take whatever you can get."

"aye, aye captain." blue murmured as she unfolded her legs to stand. "do you have work today?"

"ah, yeah. i'm covering for lisa tonight." nat's face crinkled, thinking about her late night shift at the bar again. she preferred to work during the days, taking care of hungover alcoholics that stay the night and polishing off the bottles that were left out. doing night shift meant facing the dim lit lights with drunk, old, clueless men giving her unwanted attention.

"yikes. have you thought about what the drink of the night is?"

"i'm thinking a manhattan. classic."

"nice. do you have your taser on you or do we have to find it when the u-haul gets here?" blue raised her eyebrows curiously.

"no, i have it in my car. i'll get it in a bit. i don't have to go until 7." nat's forearm pressed onto her forehead and she shut her eyes, resting them for a moment as she knew this was the only time of quiet she'd get for the next several hours. 
blue retrieved her phone from her back pocket, which read 3:45. she wouldn't have to leave until 4:30, which meant she'd lay back down with nat on the floor in daydreams of spending the next several years in this place. this was only the beginning, but neither nat or blue could enjoy the moment. it just felt like another day to work.

"shit. do you think we'll have time to even settle in?" blue, as always, the worrier.

"yeah, we'll be fine. i pick up morning shifts anyway, and you work afternoons and nights mostly. i'm sure we'll find the time." nat reassured her, although she was slightly worried herself. "plus, if we can't, i'll ask milo to help."

"milo? you're still talking to him?" blue raised herself onto her elbows. both girls hated the "gen z" concept of "talking" to a guy, but there was no doubting that the phase exists.

"ah, i wanted to give him more time. i don't know anything about the guy still. just one more date maybe,"

"hm," blue slowly laid herself back down onto the floor.

"well, are you ready to pay a fixed bill for the next ten years of your life?" nat was quick to change the subject.

"you think we'll be here that long?"

"i don't know, maybe."

blue sighed, deeply and sadly. "i'm not ready."

"you know, you'd think we'd be more excited about moving into our own place. we've talked about this forever,"

"i know. i think we're too tired to be anything close to excited right now."

nat rose from the floor and ushered blue to get up with her. "i don't know why we're just here, laying in our own pity. c'mon, let's go get a cup of coffee or something before you have to go."

"you sure?"

"yeah. i got a big tip the other day for looking like riley reid, so i say we go and celebrate like kings."

blue laughed heartily and nodded. "fine, but if you're paying, then i'll drive."

"fair."

"alright, riley reid. let's go get a coffee," she cackled at the thought and led nat out of the room, taking her car keys.

and over a simple cup of coffee, the two felt the heat of the moment arise into the realization that they're fully on their own. going home now meant arriving at a place without family or the comfort of living under a roof without financial burden. it's just blue and nat now. no supervision, no backup plan, and no safety net.

what a thrill.