| T W E L V E |

Streets of Gleam Canyon

18:27pm

...

“You look beautiful tonight, Miss Emma,” Jared complimented. His eyes roamed about her figure at how her dress suited her to perfection. He liked her the very first day he bumped into her at that store.

“Thank you, Jared,” a blush dusted her pink cheeks as she accepted the compliment. She couldn't help but feel like a love-struck teenage girl all over again, “You look great as well.”

Garbed in loose-fitting black chinos, a baby blue Chinese collared shirt folded at the arms, and black ankle boots— he looked delicious enough to eat.

The streets buzzed with life as people prepared for the Japanese new year. People dressed in costumes of their favorite anime characters, some dressed as elite warriors of various dynasties, others roamed the streets as well known Kings and Queens that ruled over the country on different time frames. While others were dressed in traditional Japanese attire.

Ancient, jovial Japanese music poured out of the speakers strategically placed on the walkways.

In synchronized steps, individuals dressed in traditional Japanese attire emerged out of the crowd. Masks with flower patterns hid their identities, all the crowd had access to was their eyes, and their flawless movements to the sound of the drums, and the tune from the boxed speakers.

“This is amazing,” Emily gleefully said as she took in everything happening in front of her.

“It surely is,” Jared agreed, his eyes lingering to their interlaced fingers with a softness in them.

▪️Back at the motel▪️

...

“We should all go out,” Melany suggested. Sitting on Calvin's lap, she brushed back his locks; slightly massaging his temple she placed a lingering kiss at his lips.

“That's not a good idea, sis. Someone's out there to get us,” Bethany reminded. A chill ran down her spine as she thought about Christopher's dead body out there in the woods, all alone.

“So...” she drawled out with a scowl on her face, “... we are seriously going to let some fucker stop us from living our lives?”

“It's not that, it's just—”

“It's what? I'm not going to stay cooped up in this place. Either I'm going, and I'm going to have the best time of my life, alone, or yall can join and we can make it memorable,” she said as she gave them an ultimatum.

“Like hell I'm letting you go out there alone,” Calvin spoke out, gripping her waist tightly to his side, he inhaled her fruity perfume embedding it to his memory.

“Oli?” she looked expectantly at his rigid profile.

Casting a glance at Bethany, his heart surged with warmth. No way was he letting her go out there with a target on her back.

“I'm in. Just don't go overboard and attract attention to us,” he glared at Melany.

“What? Me...” she feigned hurt, “... I'd never do that.”

“Sure you wouldn't.”

———

“Come on you guys, we're gonna end up missing the whole festival at this pace, ” Melany cried out, irritated at how unenthusiastic they were.

“Festival goes on till tomorrow, babe. Chill, please,” Calvin soothed as he tried to calm her.

Her deep scowl told him she didn't want to calm down, backing away from her— hands raised up high, he urged the other pair to hurry up.

“Done!” Bethany called out from the bathroom. Exiting hand in hand, she and Oliver sauntered towards the door; dressed in matching black faded jeans, black vans, and Him & Her hoodies.

“Well... What's the hold-up?" Bethany asked, eyebrow raised in question.

“Right behind you,” Melany gleefully stated. Pulling Calvin to his feet, they all exited the room then locked.

Reaching the bustling street, their eyes widened in awe at the transformation in front of them. The streets had posters of the festival listing the events from start to finish; as well as the time setting of each and the desired place.

Next on the list were the traditional Japanese drummers. Lining out in perfect order, they formed a mini circle that swirled making the leader be at the center.  Giving a small nod to the rest they turned and faced the crowd while simultaneously beating the drums in sync. Adding leg movement to the art; they picked one leg off the ground leaning to the side then they banged on the leather material at the top of the drum in fast-paced motion.

Shifting to the next leg; their hands pelted softly to the material in a delicate way as if almost afraid that the material would break. They repeated the choreography until one of the members screamed something in Japanese halting all movement.

The atmosphere changed as they placed their drums to the side, allowing other performers to pass through, they formed three horizontal lines. Loud music poured out of the speakers set nearby as if on cue they ripped off their traditional shirts and remained dressed in black vests as they transitioned from cultural performance to a more modern set performance.

Moving along with the crowd, the group found themselves in another part of the town uniformly decorated as the last.

“That was great!" Bethany shrieked, pure excitement evident on her face.

“That was something, ” Oliver agreed, a warm smile dancing at his lips.

In the crowd stood a figure monitoring each movement they made, blending in with the performers; they had their own mask hiding their facial features.

The gang was too oblivious to realize that trouble was lurking in the shadows— waiting for the perfect time to attack.

......

A short chapter I know, next chapter is going to be super long( not dead ass long, but long.) It's going to be... Let me not give away any spoilers😏😏.

Anywho, please vote and leave a comment on what you thought. I'd love to hear your thoughts.