~ Chapter 14 ~

"Was that supposed to hurt my feelings?"

It did

"You have not earned the right to call yourself my father. Now I told you what I was going to do. I will respect you because I am under your roof. I'll help you get into the office, but I will not treat you as if we are family outside of the public eye," I start up the stairs, before pausing to turn and look at him again, "Your words don't hurt me anymore."

It's always something with him. I'm always coming home to some sort of arrangement or lecture. I mean, he must get tired of yelling at me. 

Doesn't he just want to ignore me? 

What does he get out of yelling at me?

I slam my bedroom door, it seems like I do that a lot. My hard outer exterior did well to not show my burning heart. 

How could my father say that to me? It's not like I didn't already know he didn't want me, but when it comes out of his mouth, it just hurts differently. My eyes burn, but not with tears. I didn't feel like crying. I didn't feel anything but hot.  

I could cry later, but right now I needed to find a job

<3

I've been job hunting for hours. I originally started out on my computer; texting Athena if she knew of any jobs. I then slowly moved to riding around downtown looking for 'help wanted' signs. I found a few, but the small bookworm in me was begging to become a waitress at a small diner in a small town. 

I needed money. I would live under my father's roof until it becomes legal for me to move out. Even if he offered me a moving out fund. I wouldn't take it. Once I turned eighteen I wanted nothing to do with him. 

With that being said, cutting contact off with a parent isn't ideal. However, it's clear to me that he would never be the father that I needed. Whatever demons he was dealing with at the moment, obviously have temporarily won. 

The ring of my phone takes my attention away from the passing buildings. I quickly pick it up, returning my eyes to the road. 

"Yes?"

"Girl, what in the hell do you want a job for?"

I chuckle lightly, "I need money, hun,"

"Well, I wouldn't let you work where I work. That wouldn't be appropriate, but I think I could hook you up with something,"

"Wouldn't be appropriate? What are you? A Stripper?" I snort, pulling over to the side of the road.

She pauses.

"Oh shit, I didn-"

"Just kidding," Her laugh rings in my phone's speaker, "Even though that is the end goal eventually."

Love that energy

"Come meet me at Sleepy Hollow Drive, the fork in the road,"

"Okay." I hang up, hitting a U-turn. 

Sleepy Hollow Drive was a rather long road, but I knew what fork she was talking about. I look at my outfit. It wasn't bummy, but I would've worn something a little more professional to meet a potential employer. 

I can't help but let my mind drift to my mother. It had been two weeks, maybe? From the last time, I saw her. I didn't have a way to contact her and she certainly didn't try to get into contact with me. I, again, was not upset at her. It's useless being mad at a woman that can't even remember her own name, let alone call her daughter.