Chapter 19: Control

Kohl

McKennon showed up a day ago, just as the Blood Moon is rising, and has caused chaos since he arrived. Gaius and Cassie have tried to get me to see McKennon in a different light. I can't get past his assault on my pack and the near death of my mate.

His attack on me is secondary to those things.

It's questionable that he appears on my doorstep just as the Blood Moon begins. I questioned my scouts as to how he was able to slip past them but they are still perplexed. McKennon spun a yarn about Ania getting him through our defenses. Parker seems to believe this insanity.

Parker has been supportive yet he's also tried to push me towards McKennon. The two of us are at odds on the topic. He pushes for me to forgive him but he doesn't go overboard, stating that he's not here to judge me. He's different. I feel more certain that I must hide him now.

McKennon's appearance and Parker's heat returning must mean something but I'm not sure what. It has begun to worry me. I've been planning tonight's run down to a t. I've put two of my better wolves on patrol in the area of the bunker tonight. I have a strange feeling about tonight.

"You can't put him in a box." Gaius says leaning on the doorway to my office, "He won't let you."

"He's already agreed." I say without looking up, "He's not particularly fond of the heat and the trouble it attracts."

"And you?" Gaius asks.

"Which part? The heat or the trouble?" I say looking up at him, "It's worth it on multiple levels."

"You sure? I seem to remember you calling him frail." Gaius laughs, "It's good to see you finally become the Alpha I knew you could be."

"You were right. I need my mate to share the burden of this." I nod, "He centers me. Which is why I can't let anything happen to him."

"I doubt that will happen." Gaius answers, "He can fend off your best wolves."

"Yes but they are going easy on him."

"You really believe that?" Gaius asks, "He's a demi-god. You seem to forget that."

"We have a lot to discuss on that front, father."

"In due time." Gaius nods, "For now we have our own issues. Like your brother."

"He's a prisoner." I say dismissively, "He's nothing more."

"He is your brother and my son, to our horror." Gaius repeats, "He came to us for a reason."

"Because he pissed off the other psychopaths."

"Perhaps, but he came to us. We have a second chance with him."

I chuckle, "How generous of him."

"Kohl—"

"This matter is over. He's a prisoner. If you wish to see what you can gleam from him, do so but do not expect me to regard him with anything other than suspicion." I frown at him, "What could have changed your mind so much on him?"

"Your mate." Gaius says as he heads towards the door, "Parker is not wrong. McKennon is shaped by what I did."

"What you did?" I ask.

"I turned my back on him, blinded by rage. He was challenging and a brat but he didn't deserve what I gave him." Gaius says quietly, "And he doesn't deserve what you're giving him either."

His words cut deep. It seems like Parker is deeper into this discussion than he'd like to admit. I groan as I sit down in my comfy chair. All of them are against me on this, which would normally not be such a bad situation.