Chapter 13: Scorch the Earth

Parker

"How long are you going to—how long are you two going to keep this up?" Jasar says as he stops in place. I stare at him, trying not to notice how incredible his body is with his clothes off. I shake the thoughts out of my head and Jasar groans at me. He quickly says, "What's wrong with the two of you?! You're going to send the whole pack into a frenzy!"

Jasar isn't wrong. Everyone has started to act very tense. Kohl and I have made a game out of seeing which one of us could drive the other insane. The Alpha is not amused and is pushing the two of us to mate before the next transformation cycle. Gaius explains that the wolves will be more primal than ever. It scares me slightly more.

"Kohl's been pretty busy with pack business and dealing with his psychotic Brother. Add to that, there's a large amount of civil unrest in all the packs." I ponder the implications of what I've said.

I've been having this weird, moderately romantic vacation away from the real world. The horrible truth is that I'm enjoying the newness of all of this. The werewolf insurgency wasn't exactly the feel-good time of my life but it's simpler here. I've also found something I wasn't intently looking for: Kohl. It's insane to think I've found what equates to my soulmate.

Of course I'm a werewolf's mate.

Of course I am.

"Kohl is not a patient person in the least. Though, he's been a bit more...sensible lately." Jasar ponders.

"You think I have something to do with that?"

"I think you have everything to do with it." Jasar says without looking at me.

I roll my eyes at Jasar's ridiculous behavior. It's like he can't even stand the sight of me. I know that's not the case. I know that's exactly the opposite. I also know that he's not attracted to me normally and I respect that. It's the heat I'm producing that is causing him distress.

"Jasar, you need to stop treating me like I'm some deity. I'm a guy. I thought we were friends."

"Yes, we are but you're not a werewolf. You don't understand. The smell is intoxicating."

"It's not like I'm going to let you jump me. Let's be honest, you can't take me in a one-on-one. Not now."

I know this is going to illicit the reaction I get. A low growl escapes his lips and his posture hardens. The wolves are territorial and proud. The idea of a human beating him has to sting slight. I don't believe he's a upset as most wolves are, but he can't be thrilled about it. A few seconds go by before he realizes he's growling at the...sequel.

"Forgive me, Lu—Sequel." He says bending his head.

I chortle as Kohl drops from the sky and lands to our right. We both regard him with surprise as his eyes bore into Jasar before finding me. A smile stretches across his face. I can't help but smile at him as well. Jasar is right. Kohl has been smiling more these days. I may have to admit my part in it.

"Jasar, I hope everything is going well with Parker's training." Kohl says without looking directly at Jasar.

"Yes, Alpha. We were just discussing—"

Kohl's head snaps to him, a small guttural growl comes from his chest.

"How long have you been in the tree?" I ask, "And why in the Hell were you in the tree? Are there more people in the trees? Are you guys tree people now."

The two men stare at me. They are still getting used to my sense of humor. The two of them regard me with amusement. I feel fairly certain that there are no more people in the tree. I'm also utterly worried that I didn't hear or feel him watching us.