Chapter 10: Rebirth

Kohl

Oh God no!

I can't see Parker in the water right now. The water is red with blood as panic sets in. I found Mckennon and Parker in the woods and I had to save Parker. I pounced on my Brother but failed to take gravity into account.

The moment Parker fell into the shallow river, my heart sank. The moment the water ran red, my soul shriveled. In this moment, I feel like I can't feel any part of my body. The more I try to fight the feeling, the more I find myself succumbing to the shock.

"I didn't—It wasn't my fault."

McKennon is behind me. I'd almost forgotten. I feel the wolf inside me ripping to get out. I ignore him and move to the water. As I do, Parker bursts from the water and rolls to a stop at my feet. I bend down to see that he's covered in river water and blood. McKennon is just as shocked as I am.

"Parker?" I ask.

Parker notices me for the first time before his eyes land on McKennon. His face contorts into a very violent expression. He moves towards McKennon but I step in front of him. To my shock, he easily throws me to the side and rushes towards McKennon. I watch from the ground as McKennon swings a claw at Parker, who instinctively grabs his arms and swings him into a tree. McKennon slams against the ground, unconscious.

"Parker?" I call out as I jump to my feet.

I rush over to him. I pull him into a hug, nestling my nose in his neck. His smell is different now and he seems physically stronger yet he looks the same. I feel his arms wrap around my waist and I shudder.

"What just happened?" Parker asks, "Did I die?"

"No." I say as I pull away from him, "Of course not."

"I think I just died."

"Stop saying that, Park."

Parker stares at me, confused. I'm just as confused. I called him by a nickname for the first time. I've been realizing how much I've come to care for him since the moment I woke up this morning. I wasn't sure why until recently. He calmed my wolf. Grey wasn't shy about his distaste of how I treated Parker. Parker's reaction to me is justified. I've realized that my hesitancy is ridiculous. Fate wouldn't put him in a position of this much importance if he was fragile. He's a strong man.

Seemingly stronger now.

I've been worried he's not strong enough for me and I've been sorely mistaken.

As I stand staring at him in the moonlight, I realize his beauty. The moment I saw him I was attracted to him but at this moment, I've never seen anything or anyone so beautiful. I break my eyes away from him when I hear the howl of wolves back near the pack house.

"We need to get back." Parker says as he bypasses me, "Grab your Brother. I have questions."

I am unsure of how I feel about his orders. The Alpha wolf in me lets out a low growl while I also find something very intriguing about it. I'll have to punish him later. It'll be a true challenge.

I walk over and pick up Mickey and throw him over my shoulder before running behind Parker. Parker is faster than before. He seems different. Mickey stirs but I restrain him with an elbow.

When we arrive at the pack lands, I see that the Betas have the situation at a stand-still. I watch as Parker effortlessly rolls under an attack by a wolf. The wolf is in his human form. Much like any rogue, the wolf is filthy with long, matted hair. His attack, if he landed it, would probably give Parker some obscure disease that should have died in the middle ages.