Chapter 12: Shoot Your Shot

Kohl

Parker is such a nuisance.

Gaius has announced that I will be ascending to the title of Alpha with his full blessing sooner rather than later. This coincides with the marking of my mate. My mischievous mate. My annoyingly sexy mate. He's making it hard to concentrate on anything but him.

I only blame him because in addition to his natural allure, he tends to tease me. He knows the smell of him is enough to set me off. He also knows how territorial I am. Everyone has noticed that I marked him by the scent of him. It's a mingling of us and the smell of it drives me insane. I've also noticed something very odd.

Males who would no sooner have interest in him seem to be aroused just the same as I am but to a slightly lesser extent.

"Kohl!"

I snap back into reality when my father barks my name. I remember that I'm in the holding area with Gaius and Cassandra. Gaius, as always, looks unaffected while Cassandra seems nervous. We are visiting and interrogating McKennon. I'm not very thrilled with McKennon. He almost killed Parker and attacked the pack.

Our pack.

Cassie is about to speak when Gaius moves forward. Cassie stares at me and I shrug as we follow my father. I enter the room and Cassie closes the door behind us. McKennon is chained to the wall with some of the strongest silver we could find. Silver is a known weakness of us wolves.

McKennon smells horrible. His appearance is no less primal than when he attacked. He looks even more feral. Gaius seems undeterred while Cassie moves towards him. Mickey roars at her, causing her to stop in her tracks.

"McKennon!" Gaius thunders. Mickey's head snaps to him, snarls escaping his lips. Gaius stares at him and for a split second, I see something vulnerable. Gaius clears his throat, "You attacked the pack. Give me a reason I shouldn't execute you."

"Execute me. Banish me. It won't matter." Mickey says with a low, dangerous voice.

Mickey is no longer Mickey.

"We're not doing any of those!" Cassie protests, "We're your family."

"We stopped being a family a long time ago." Mickey hisses.

"When you killed our Mother." I say without thinking.

Mickey lunges at me. The chains burn his wrists and pull him backwards, slamming against the wall. Cassie glares at me while Gaius stares on at his wayward son. I do the same, choosing to ignore Cassie. I realize my hormones aren't entirely mine right now. I keep thinking how my mate could have died at his hands. The hands of my brother.

How my Mother already did.

Mickey leans against the wall with a smirk on his face, "Your Mate smells so sweet, like honey. No, a cinnamon bun. I'm glad he survived."

"Watch yourself." I say with anger building.

"Ah, it must be hard to be near him and have him practically reject you. It must be even more difficult now, huh?" Mickey laughs, "How did it feel to know that I almost killed him? That he bled out into the water?"

I rush forward but Gaius grabs me. I understand. Mickey is bating me and he's using Parker to do it. He's causing me to be reckless. He's up to something. I need to relax myself. I have to take his jabs in stride.

"He didn't. He's stronger now." Cassie interjects, "Mickey, what happened to you?"

"After I was exiled—"