Chapter Fifty Five

Grace Wilkerson

Gabe and Grace walked back to the central area of the Houses of Parliament unsure what they would find and how many of their team would have been injured.

What they saw surprised them.

There were no more orange eyed people. The Deck team had secured the area and everyone seemed to have returned to normal.

The have-nots were tending to their injured and Chris thought about how although these people had very little it was clear they understood the importance of family and friendship.

“Chris. What happened?” asked Grace.

“We don’t know,” he replied. “Suddenly everyone just stopped fighting and their eyes turned back to normal colours. Whatever was controlling them it’s gone now.”

“It’s not gone forever,” she showed Chris her phone. “We met someone downstairs who told us where we could find the source of the signal. It’s at this location.”

“But that’s the old Olympic park. Why would anyone go there?”

“Exactly. It’s out of the way and has a lot of land. You could build anything out there now that London is a lawless city.”

The Deck regrouped. Only nine of them remained, including Gabe, Grace, Chris and March. They walked outside and were instantly ambushed by a crowd of orange eyed people.

“Where do they keep coming from?” asked Gabe as he pushed off his attacker. “Use the lights.”

The Deck formed two circles one with five of them and the other with four and shone the light around them which helped stop any of their attackers temporarily.

“We can’t do this the entire way,” said Grace. “Look over there,” she pointed to an underground station with steps descending downwards.

“We’ll be trapped,” said Chris.

Grace pulled out her phone and dialled a number, being careful to keep the other hand held down on her weapon. “Jill?” she asked.

“No. It’s Kenan. Jill isn’t here.”

“Well where the heck is she?”

“We have no idea. Can I help?”

“The London Underground. Does it still run?” asked Grace.

“It was never fully deactivated if that’s what you mean,” he replied. “Jill trained me so I should be able to help.”

Grace could see the orange eyed men starting to work their way through the gaps in their defence. “We have to run,” she shouted.

The Deck turned and ran towards the underground station. “I’ll stop them,” said one of the team who stayed at the entrance and pointed his blue light outwards. “Run!”

The eight remaining team mates didn’t look back, there was no time to argue about what was the right action. They ran down the stairs into the main entrance. Grace looked at her phone and saw it dip down to one bar of signal. “Kenan, are you still there? If you are then I need you to activate the train from Westminster to Stratford on the Jubilee line. Can you hear me?”

There was no reply.

“Kenan?” shouted Grace. She looked at her phone and saw that her phone signal was gone. In the background she heard the scream as the team mate she had left behind was attacked.

There was nowhere else to run. The only way was down.

She ran towards Gabe. He asked if the train would be waiting for them on the platform and she said she wished she knew.