Chapter 10: Aftermath

"I recorded your conversation with Helton, minutes before he was killed." I said.

The crowd gasped, except me and Robert.

Swallowing a gulp, he tried to put the entire thing on me.

"It was the boy's fault!" he screamed.

"He is just jealous and selfish, just like what his social worker says!"

People began to murmur among themselves, until Cole came downstairs, holding my tape recorder.

"Luke is telling the truth!" she blurted.

"I heard the entire thing!"

She tossed me the device and I immediately caught it.

"You're done," a man in a lavish coat said.

"I am calling the police and have you arrested for blackmail, bribery, and murder!"

Panicking, Robert tried to leave the house, but Madison and the others surrounded him.

He began searching for a weapon, until Robert yanked a candlebra from the piano, threw it on the ground, and escaped.

Within minutes, the floor is already engulfed in flames.

Women were screaming, while men tried to grab their wives and friends and got out of the house.

Many people, especially Eden, who is carrying her daughter, got out of the fire safely.

But as soon as Cole and I tried to escape, wood and dust blocked our escape.

"What do we do?" Cole shrieked.

I grabbed her by the arm and together, we hustled around the breathing fire and went upstairs.

As soon as we hurried to my bedroom, I ran to collect my things, while Cole closed the door behind her.

Looking around the room, I saw a huge window in the center of the wall.

"There's a window!" I shouted through the roaring fire.

"We have to go now!" Cole nodded and ran over to window.

But when we tried to pull it open, it would budge.

I buried my face into my hands and thought that we were never going to make it alive, but just then Cole had an idea.

"Let's use the drawer!" she suggested. 

We headed over to the drawer and with a count of three, we lifted the furniture and heaved it at the window.

Luckily, window suddenly shattered against the drawer's wooden surface, leaving us an escape route.

To make sure we wouldn't get cut, I made a rope out of my blanket, and stuck the tip under the bottom of the window.

Taking a deep breath, I lowered myself down until my feet landed on the ground.

After my turn, Cole lowered herself down, until the rope's tip suddenly broke free under the window's trap.

The next thing I  saw, is her grip broke free from the rope, and gravity took over.

Luckily, I spread out my arms and caught her in the midst of time.

I noticed the tears spreading down her cheeks and wiped them off.

"It's okay," I said calmly, putting her down.

"You're safe."

Cole gave me a smug smile and together, we hurried onto the driveway.

Immediately after the Christmas party disaster is over, the officers eventually caught Robert, who was waiting impatiently for a taxi to pick him up.