Chapter 3: Pretty Brown Eyes

The dinner is being held in the backyard garden, where gardeners trimmed and planted fresh seeds into the moist ground.

For our evening meal, we are having lean steak with small salad, a side of mash potatoes, and baby corn.

The Clints talked happily with each other, while I ate my meal in silence.

The sight of the family made me wished my own parents were here, alive and in person.

There were alot of things I wanted to tell them, like the death of Aaron or how I went to Juvie.

I want more than anything in the world to see my parents notice how much I have grown, maybe see my high school graduation, my wedding, or their little granddaughter or grandson.

Robert noticed me eating then asked if I liked my bedroom.

"It's nice," I lied.

Eden noticed my solemn appearance then asked Robert if he could buy me some new clothes.

I looked at her in confusion, then glanced down at my clothes.

Today, I am wearing a black t-shirt, jeans, and black Air-Jordans.

I don't know why this deranged witch would ask that question.

"I already have nice clothes," I insisted.

Robert looked at me as he bit into his meat.

"Ms. Caroline says that you have been wearing black over the past few months." Robert said.

"But other than that Eden, I don't see why he couldn't wear his clothes."

Eden pressed her lips together into a thin line.

"Robert, we are hosting a Christmas Party! Everyone will be invited, especially the mayor of San Francisco!"

"I'm not going to the stupid party," I stated.

Everyone stopped eating abruptly then looked at me.

"How come?" Madison asked.

"I am focusing on finding out who killed my best friend." I insisted.

Eden gave me pleading eyes.

"But attending to the party will make some memories." she insisted.

Robert gave her a look before glancing at me.

"Just who is your friend, anyway?" he asked.

"He's a cop who has been shot in the line of duty." I explained.

"It happened months before I came to San Francisco. Since you're a lawyer, can you ask people around for more information?"

Robert looked at me strangely. "Are you sure this is a good idea-" he began.

"Oh, for heaven's sakes!" Eden interrupted.

"This boy needs to put on a suit and tie and say hello to the guests as soon as they arrive."

I dropped my fork at my half eaten plate then glared at her.

"I don't mean to be rude," I began. "But he is my friend-"

"The police will handle it." Madison insisted. "But I bet they won't find anything."

Eden nodded along with her vain daughter.

"Be a nice, little boy and for once, be happy! It will look good for the cameras!"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Why?" I snarled. "Because you want the whole world to be looking at your perfect home?"

"To be honest, you are the most shallow person, other than your daughter, who care so much about yourselves rather than others."

Eden and Madison gasped while Robert stared at me.

"Young man," he insisted. "Apologize, right this instant!"

Embarrassed, I turned my head over to the girls.

"I am very sorry," I apologized, but Eden and Madison wouldn't buy it.

Instead, they demanded to send me back where I am from.

While Robert tried to calm them down, I angrily dropped my fork and left the table.

As soon as I went back into the house, I grabbed a couple of books from the shelves and hurried upstairs to my bedroom.

I tossed my clothes, books, and all of my items into a bag and zipped it up in a jiffy.

Suddenly, I heard a loud knock at my door which I ignored.

"Mister Hamilton?" someone cried.

After a few knocks, I stormed up to the door and answered it; it is a small olive skinned man in a gray suit and tie.

"Mr. and Mrs. Clint wants to know if you are okay?" 

"I'm fine," I answered coldly, closing the door in his face.

I fetched my backpack and stormed out of my bedroom.

It was a mistake being here, I wish I was back with my parents.

I wish Seth is here, safe and sound.

I wanted to thank him very much for bailing me out of juvie.

After I adjusted the straps of my backpack, I left the room and stormed out of the house.

Clouds covered the sky, as if it was a woolen quilt.

The cold wind made my eyes watery.

As I walked out of the driveway, I took a sharp turn around the sidewalk and continued moving forward.

Just then, I bumped into a girl, sending her books on the ground.

"Ouch!" she cried.

Humiliated, I picked up the books from the ground and handed it to her.

"I'm sorry," I said with a smile.

But despite the ruthless encounter, girl reminded me of someone.

She had short, curly dark hair, olive brown skin, and brown eyes.

She wore a blue and white t-shirt, skinny jeans, and white sneakers.

I instantly remembered her: I met her in the airport before her mother had to pick her up.

"Hey Sherlock," Cole beamed with a smile.

"It looks like you made it to San Francisco in one peace."

But when she looked carefully in my eyes, she can tell something is wrong.

"Are you okay?" Cole asked. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head furiously then backed away.

"I am doing fine," I lied. She crossed her arms and sighed.

"No, you're not." Cole said. "Something is bothering you."

She took me by the hand and led me to the bus bench.

"Tell me what's going on." she insisted.

Sighing, I poured out the details: I have just been adopted to the Clints and so far, I haven't been doing a good job.

"Why?" Cole asked.

I took a deep breath then looked at her curious face: for the first time, I noticed how pretty she was.

"I want to know what happened to New York cop who got shot in the line of duty."

Her curious face looked at me in a puzzled way.

"Why shouldn't you let the police handle this?" she asked.

Even though I had just met her a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to talk to an honest person.

"Because," I began. "I knew him from when I was little."