Chapter 2: Welcome to the Rich House

After he introduced me to his wife, house staff, and kitchen staff, Robert Clint gestured me to a room with comfy chairs and told me to sit down.

"So, where are you from?" Robert Clint asked.

"London," I replied.

"My father is British and my mother is Irish; we moved to New York when I was two years old."

"Do you have a brother or any siblings?" he asked.

I nodded.

"I have a brother named Seth," I answered.

Robert raised his eyebrow at me.

"But what about your twin brother, Ben?" he questioned.

I told him he was "dead".

"I'm sorry," Robert sighed.

I noticed the house staff is scrubbing the yellow ceramic floors, dusting twenty bookshelves, and even cleaning the chandeliers.

Is it time for spring cleaning? I wondered.

Just then, I saw five maids carrying a huge christmas tree.

The fireplace in the corner is draped with stockings, while I can smell the aroma of gingerbread coming from the kitchen.

"Christmas party?" I guessed.

Robert nodded as a young blond woman in a transparent, golden dress came over to Robert. She had the same blue eyes as him with the exception of wearing cherry red lipstick.

"Hello," she greeted. "Who might you be?"

"Luke Hamilton," I replied.

We shook hands very firmly and asked if I want something to eat.

"No thank you," I answered politely.

"But may I use the library?"

Robert and his wife giggled as if I made a joke.

"You can have everything you want," Robert insisted.

"As long as you abide by our rules and don't mess anything up."

Mrs. Clint promised me that after I am finished checking out the bookshelves, I need to call her so she can start the tour.

I thanked her kindly and ran over to the shelves.

I scanned my finger against the colorful bindings until I found one that interests me: three Sherlock Holmes novels, a book on hidden messages, and tips on survival.

Amazed by my choices, Robert asked me if was some kind of prodigy.

"Your social worker did say that the boy is intelligent," Mrs. Clint noted.

"Although he has some difficulties socializing with people his own age."

I skimmed through the novels quickly, taking in dark inked words across the blank pages.

After I was finished, I placed the books back where they were and asked Mrs. Clint if she could show me around the house.

"Really?" she asked.

"You finished reading that quickly?"

"I have a photographic memory," I replied.

She took a deep breath then cleared her throat. For a minute, I recognized them.

"You guys must be lawyers, right?" I asked. "Clint Law Enterprises?"

They both nodded eagerly.