Chapter 7: Drive-By Shooting

The minute I asked my question, Helton's hands were clammy and sweaty.

"There is a drug bust," he insisted.

He breathes as if he is starting an asthma attack, and his eyes were frantic.

He is a very bad liar.

"Why wasn't the drug bust on the news?" I asked.

"I already told you the press doesn't like to tell the truth." Helton reminded.

"And yet, Aaron's murder is all over television, newspapers, and social media." I added with a scowl.

"You ask alot of stupid questions," I heard him mumble.

"And you like to make stupid excuses about why you decided to abandon Aaron when he needed you the most." I shot back.

Helton didn't say anything after he dropped me off at the Clints' house.

"Here's your stop," he said.

"I'm sorry about Aaron and what you are going through right now."

I let out a cold cackle.

"Yeah right," I said, opening the door. "Have a nice life."

I slammed the door behind me then headed to the mansion.

But as soon as I got there, Robert, Eden, and their daughter, Madison sat calmly in the living room couch.

They wore their glimmering white evening wear: Eden and Madison had a white beautiful dresses while Robert wore a bleach white suit. 

"Luke," he said carefully. "There is something Eden would like to tell you."

I watched as the blond woman cleared her throat, and shifted her right skinny leg on top of her left.

"I want to apologize for my behavior," she began, but I could tell in her voice that she didn't mean it.

"It's fine," I insisted. "I am also sorry-"

Suddenly, a doorbell rang from across the room.

Groaning, Robert instantly went up and answered the door.

Meanwhile, Eden and Madison stared at me with vicious hatred.

"You're very lucky I didn't call your social worker," Eden said.

"I would have told her what a bad influence you have on my daughter."

"A bad influence?" I snorted. "Don't you think you are being overly dramatic?"

Madison giggled while Eden glared at me.

"I already bought a nice suit for you to wear for the party." she explained.

"It should be laying on your bed, meanwhile I don't want you to do anything, but smile and mingle with my associates."

"Yes ma'am," I replied.

But just before I left, I gathered a couple of books from the shelves then ran upstairs to my bedroom.

As soon as I arrived, everything is exactly where it was with the exception of a crisp, black suit lying on the mattress.

I sighed as I took out the contents of my bag and started piling them on the bed.

I then took out the newspaper and supplies and began my work.

First, I cut out the photos, related to Aaron's homicide case and set it on top of the drawer.

With a cardboard I found on the ground, I taped the pictures, photos, and pages I have written on my notebook.

Eventually, I made my own suspect board.

My prime suspect is Helton Mercer, however, I wondered if the drug bust in New York is really true.

I headed downstairs and found Robert talking anxiously with Helton on the living room table.

As always, Helton looked pissed as he grumbled complaints under his breath.

"You seriously need to talk to this kid," he insisted.

"Luke has been asking me questions about Aaron ever since he died!"

Robert nodded as if he understood.

Quietly, I stood behind the kitchen counter and listened.

"Of course he misses Aaron," Robert explained.

"He is Luke's friend and he wants to know who killed him."

"Whatever," Helton sighed. "I just want to know how much money are you paying me to keep my mouth shut?"

Money? I thought in surprise.

"Helton," he sighed in annoyance.

"You know I didn't force you to get out of the police force, you quit, so that means that you are going to do whatever it takes to keep me and my family safe."

A low snort came from Helton.

"What am I, your bodyguard?" he asked.

Robert thought about it for a moment before pulling out his wallet and giving him five hundred dollars.

Immediately, I reached into my pocket and pulled out my small tape recorder and pressed Play.

"Starting right now, you are my bodyguard." Robert said.

"Here is the proposition: you are going to be one unless you want me to send the video to the entire world."

What video?  Whatever it was, it seemed to take an effect on Helton.

"Fine," he insisted, snatching the money from Robert's fingertips.

"But if you are lying-"

"No lies," Robert insisted.

"I am just a simple, honest lawyer."

With a low grunt, Helton rose up from his seat then marched out of the mansion.

As soon as he left, I heard silent gunshots coming from outside.

Alarmed, I shoved the recorder into my pocket then raced outside.

My eyes darted distractedly until an unconscious man seeped into the green grass.

As it turns out, it was Helton, trying to breathe. Two bullet holes appeared on his neck.

Blood sputtered from his wounds when he tried to talk.

"Helton!" I screamed as I race towards him.

But the minute he looked at me, he pulled out his gun from his jeans pocket, but then tossed it at me.

But instead, I purposely missed my catch as the gun plopped right besides me.

What was he trying to do? I asked.

A part of me wanted to call the police, but the other wanted me to interrogate him and see what he knows.

"L-Luke," Helton stuttered. "Get...over...here."

I followed his command without haste.

"What happened?" I cried. "Who shot you?"

Instead of answering my questions, Helton told me what really happened on the night that Aaron is killed.

"I was given orders to kill your friend," he began, spitting blood.

"Someone he knew set up an underground drug trafficking ring right in the basement of the pizza parlor."