Chapter 2: New School

"Hey!" a woman yelled. "Have you gotten that medicine yet?"

She opened the window to take a long look at her son.

"Mom," the boy shrieked. "I just walked out of the door!"

I noticed that the boy has a slight British accent.

"After school," the mother yelled. "Get the medicine!"

"I am not deaf, Mom!" the boy yelled back. "Geez!"

The boy's mother shut the windows and closed the blinds. The boy stopped shouting then walked in the same direction that I was going.

I swallowed a gulp then walked behind him. In front of me, I saw the boy fiddling with something in his hands.

As I got closer, I saw him playing on his phone.

The boy paused at what he was doing then hesitantly turned his head towards me. I halted in my tracks.

"I'm not a criminal," he said in a low voice. "So you can stop staring at me."

I took a deep breath then said, "I know you're not a criminal."

He snickered at my comment. "Really?" he said. Then what are you staring at?"

"Your phone," I lied. The boy looked at his phone then back at me.

"What's wrong?" The boy teased. "They never invented it in your decade?"

I didn't know how to respond to him.

"My name is Luke," he greeted.

"My name is Nicole," I said. "But people call me-"

"Cole, I know."

When I gave Luke a questionable look, he sighed.

"I like to eavesdrop on new neighbors." Luke admitted.

I raised my eyebrow in suspicion. We got back on the sidewalk, moving at a very slow pace.

"You're from Michigan, right?" Luke asked.

I nodded.

"I was technically born in London," he replied.

"But my parents moved to California when I was two."

"That's cool," I complimented. "Are you going to the same school as me?"

Luke nodded then went back to his phone. We walked, until we stopped in front of a school building.

The school reminded me of an old library: its bricks are reddish brown, the structure was flat as a square, and transparent windows were plastered in a straight row.

There are two huge wooden doors that make up the entrance.

"This is Newton high school," Luke explained. "A place where kids express themselves, emotionally and physically."

"Is that a motto?" I joked.

Luke snickered then said, "You wish."

I spotted a group of classmates, laughing and talking amongst themselves.

"Sit next to the large oak tree, and wait for me." Luke instructed.

"You know that I am the same age as you," I reminded.

"I have been here longer than you have," Luke mimicked my voice.

"See the pretty girls behind me?"

I took a glimpse at the three girls wearing pink tight clothing and accessories. They snickered as they texted on their phones.

"Don't talk to them," Luke warned. "Don't look at them, and don't even breathe on them."

I rolled my eyes at his warning. At my old school, they have the same rules, regarding popular kids.

As long as we don't look at them, talk to them, or sit with them at lunch, we were safe.

The last girl who sat next to them, learned it the hard way.

"I'll be fine," I said.

"And besides, no one actually notice me."

Much to my surprise, Luke nodded.

"Me neither," he agreed.

The school bell rang for first period to start. The kids were hastily running up the steps to the school, and scampered the halls to get to their lockers.

"I'll take you to the school office," Luke offered. I smiled then followed him down the corridors. As I walked, I smelled something very awful and covered my nose. It was the smell of sneakers, moldy cheese, and sweaty gym socks all mashed together to form one big odor.

The light egg blue floors brightened the hallways as well as the classrooms; pale green paint covered the insides as well.

The crimson lockers leaned against the walls and the mahogany doors were carved to prefection.

Luke walked straight down turned to the right and made a left turn. It was hard to keep up with him because he was so fast.

I paced behind his heels until Luke stopped abruptly.

"Why did we stop?" I asked, breathing heavily.

"We're here," Luke responded.

To the right is a door, the knob is covered in spots of rust, and black scuff marks are stained on the door.

He turned the knob and opened it.

The school office was medium sized than my own closet.

There are three red chairs, which stood across the large desk. Creamy yellow paint swept the walls as a receptionist, with a bad perm and terrible choice of purple lipstick, is busy making calls.

She wore an outrageous blue dress and matching heels.

I couldn't tell what the color of her eyes were. She hunched over her papers as if she was sad about something.

Luke walked up to the receptionist and mumbled something low that I couldn't hear.

During their conversation, the receptionist reached into her drawer and pulled out sheets of paper.

My guess is that those are my transcripts and schedule.

Luke nodded politely then walked over to me.

"Here you go, " he said, handing the papers to me.

"Thanks," I say politely.

Luke helped me go to my first period class.

A young woman with curly red hair and glasses smiled as we walked through the door.

"Hello," she said. "You must be the new student, Nicole."

"Cole," I corrected.

Luke smiled then sit in the back seat.

"I'm Ms. Whitfield, your new English teacher." greeted the teacher.

She swiveled her body to meet the class.

"Class," she announced. "This is our new student, Cole Porter."

"Let's give her a welcoming smile."

Some of the kids smiled while others were sleeping on their desks or playing on their phones.

"It's great to be here," I beamed.

The kids snickered as Ms. Whitfield grimaced.

Great, now I sounded sarcastic.

"Take your seat," Ms. Whitfield said. "And open your textbooks to page ten."

I nodded and I sat in the front. A blonde girl who sat next to me tapped on my shoulder.

"Hey," she whispered.

"My name is Madison." "Hey," I said, not looking at her.