A Party And A Deal

I rest on the couch tired from strangling the door knob, again. I knew it wouldn’t do anything but by the time I gave up and lay down on the couch, Billy comes back. I bolt upright and cross my arms across my chest as he steps through the door.

‘Here.’ He says low and calm as usual, putting a plastic bag on the table before stalking off to the bathroom.

I didn’t want to open it but I had an urge to; I really wanted to see what was inside. Little by little I open it slowly, the rattling noise getting louder and louder, my heart pumping for no reason.

A dress?

It was a really pretty dress; tight all the way down and a bit shorter than the summer dress, it also had singlet sleeves and…

‘Like it?’ Billy asks out of nowhere cutting me off from staring at the dress any longer than I have to.

‘Where’d you get this?’ I ask open mouthed, amazed by the gorgeous dress.

‘I… ah…’ he trails off and I could hear him shuffling in his spot awkwardly. I look at him, ‘Billy? Where’d you get it from?’ I ask softly but strongly.

‘Well… you wouldn’t like it if I told you.’

‘What do you mean? Billy, tell me.’ I urge.

‘Ok fine… well I, kinda… stole it,’ he says, voice low like it was no big deal.

‘You did what!?’

‘I stole it for you.’ He says casually.

Stole it?! For me?’ I ask mock horror.

‘Yep. We’re going out tonight and I ain’t stayin’ in here all day, watching you…’ his voice trails off and pretends that I didn't hear him.

‘Watching me? No one’s making you,’ I say slowly.

‘I mean… don’t worry, just forget about it.’

‘Billy-’ I started, but he cuts me off straight away.

‘I said forget about it!’ he says calmly before storming away, leaving me in the kitchen.

I walk into the bedroom I slept in this morning and thrust myself down on the bed.

‘Ugghh!’ I groan heavily.

A couple of hours later he comes back.

‘C’mon get changed we’re going soon.’ He chucks the dress at me softly.

‘I never agreed to going anywhere with you.’

‘Yeah, well you’re coming whether you like it or not.’

‘No!’

‘Put on the dress, Remy!’

‘If you stole it then there’s no way in hell am I going to wear it!’ I glowered.

‘If it makes it any better a friend stole it for me. Now put on the dress and that’s final!’

I folded my arms as he stood there staring fiercely. Once again we were eyeing each other off but this time he won.

‘Fine! Tell me where we’re going first.’

‘We’re going to a party.’ And then he leaves, shutting the bedroom door behind him, not caring whether I was satisfied with his answer or not. 

‘Don’t do anything dumb,’ he warns before we got into some giant mansion.

The whole room stopped as everyone turned to stare at me and Billy and I immediately felt a blush creeping up my neck. They all looked older than me, maybe about 18 and older.

‘Everyone this is Remy,’ Billy says casually, as if there was nothing weird about practically the whole house stopping and staring at you.

Everyone knew each other, and me, well, I guess I was just some stranger that decided to invite themself into some random’s party.

As I follow Billy through the big crowd of people a lot of the girls give me looks; jealous, hatred and envy. And the boys stare up and down, some whistling making me flush even more and Billy giving them a warning look.

Only for a little bit, then I'm out, I promised myself.

‘Sit here, and don’t move, I’ll be back. I'm gonna get a drink ya want?’

‘Um, no… thanks,’ I say, half listening to what he just said.

A few people come up to me and talk, most of them were guys and the girls that did come up to me would smile at first then walk off from my daring stare. I hope I wasn’t being too rude but I really didn’t want to say anything, I didn't have the right mind to talk to anyone and if I did it wandered around every three seconds, thinking about, well, everything.

After about 45 minutes of talking to random’s and sitting still I decided now was good time to go since Billy never came back and probably never will if I bothered to stay.

I get up and look for the nearest door, then start walking.

‘Are you leaving?’ someone asks from behind making me stop.

I turn round fast, ‘yeah?’

I remember the guys face and realise it was that guy from the carnival Cullum.

‘Why?’ he asks a bit loud over the music. ‘Because I want to… I need to be somewhere else.’

I thought he was going to say something else but instead he puts two fingers in his mouth and blows the loudest whistle I’ve ever heard making me wince and step back  and making everyone go quiet and look at us.

The guy looks at me, just like everyone else is now, and then I hear footsteps half running at the top of the stairs. I see Billy at the top of the stairs with his t-shirt unbuttoned all the way down, knowing and staring right at me, lipstick marks all over his cheek and mouth making it redder than usual.

Ugh, ew. I thought grimly.

As soon as I heard him start to say something to me I began to walk off, fast, pushing and shoving people out of my way and saying ‘excuse me’ and ‘sorry’ over and over.

Walk and don’t look back, I tell myself, walk and do not look back.

‘Remy!?’ Billy yells, ‘Remy! Please. Stop!’

He chased me out the door and out the front asking me to come back again and again. I was almost at the gate until Billy said something that froze me, ‘If you stay, just for the party, I’ll tell you where Jack is!’

I knew that he wouldn’t but I realised that I had to take my chances.

 ‘Remy,’ he says tiredly, doubled-over next to me trying to catch his breath. ‘Just… stay…’ he puffs, ‘please, for now…? I won’t leave you this time. It’ll be fun, I promise.’

I study him for a long moment his breathing laboured – red kisses on his cheek – before rolling my eyes in disgust. He gives me a lopsided grin and partly rubs the marks off, ‘what? I’m a guy aren’t I? I’m allowed to have my fun too.’ He says smirking. I scoff and start to walk off again but he grabs my hand softly and pulls me back to face him, ‘I’m sorry. But still, just stay. For me. Plus you look really good in that dress and it’ll be a shame if I got it for nothing.’

I roll my eyes and look at him standing up straight and stretching his arms as if he’s gone for a long run not caring about his open t-shirt and showing his abs gladly as his breath comes back.

I groan inwardly pulling my hand away from his, ‘Fine… but as soon as it’s over, you’re telling me where Jack is. If you don’t, then I’m just going to have to find him with or without your help!’

I walk off decisively, leaving him alone and watching me but he catches up fast and walks right behind me, ‘Deal,’ he says grinning.