Chapter 11 - The Warden Has A Heart?

‘Remember when you did this?’ he asks lifting up an arm slowly. At first I thought he was going to hit me but I knew he wouldn’t so I stayed still and before I knew it he had his hand at the back of my neck and under my hair before intertwining his fingers soft and slowly in my hair, just like I had done when we kissed in the attic.

I tried my best not to cower away from his taunting hand playing around with my hair so instead I slapped his arm away before I could start to tremble. ‘Don’t touch me!’ I warned starting to get angry and glaring at him again.

I thought Billy would get angry as well but a grin just stretches across his face, ‘Aah, so you do remember,’ he laughs bitterly and my anger died away replaced by hatred. He leans in forward as if to kiss me and as soon as he did so I regretted jerking back and pushing him away because he automatically knew I was scared of him.

Was I scared of him? Haven’t I always been, under all the naivetés and anger?

I shudder as Billy’s hollow laugh ran down my spine just like The Warden’s would, he takes a step forward and I no longer cared about showing my fear so I took a step back.

He kept advancing forward knowing I’d step back every time, until finally I hit the wall.

‘Billy, stop!’ I say putting my hand out to stop him from walking any closer than a meter. He grabs my wrist and takes it off his chest stepping that extra meter closer. My heart started to pound and thump into my chest but I didn’t dare drop my gaze from him.

‘You really are a naïve little girl aren’t you?’

I hate when people called me little and I couldn’t stop myself from telling him so. ‘I may be naïve but I’m not a little girl,’ I say trying to pry his fingers off my wrist, his grip tightens and the bruise started to throb. Billy knew it hurt and that was the only thing that stopped me from trying to pry off his fingers as well as keeping my mouth shut.

‘So, what ever shall we do about Jack, hmm?’ he asks eyes staring at me as if he could see straight through me. ‘Should I be a good boy and keep our kiss a secret? Or should I go ahead and tell him and make him hate you forever?’ he tilts his head to the side a little like a thoughtful little puppy before smiling once again. ‘I like the second one better,’ he states.

‘No, Billy, please. Don’t do this to me. Don’t do this to him. Jack doesn’t deserve it, he doesn’t need to know.’ Tears welled in my eyes again even though Billy’s grip loosened on my wrist.

‘Oh, but he does deserve it, just as much as you do. You betrayed him, Remy, for me!’ he exclaims loving the idea of Jack being betrayed by his loved one for someone that he hated the most.

‘What do you want from me Billy? Why do you have to be so cruel?’ I yelled trying to push him away even with his hand gripped around my already bruised wrist. ‘Oh, I know. Is it because of your mum? Or is it your Dad? I wonder…’ I taunt back finally pushing him away and making him let go of my wrist. I go to walk off but I feel him grab my arm instantly and yank me back just like Zach had done, but instead of pushing me to the floor Billy pushes me to the wall, one hand gripping my wrist again. The air gets knocked out of me and I stood still with wide-eyes filled with hatred and hurt.

‘Don’t dare mock me Remiah, nothing good ever comes out of that,’ he warns narrowing his eyes at me and tightening his grip even more. His hold started to get too tight and I let out a yelp, ‘ow! Billy let me go!’ I screamed tears rolling down my cheeks.

He loosens his hold a little and keeps staring at me as if penetrating a hole right through me. He was about to do that numbing magic thing on me. ‘Stop it Billy! I’m sorry okay! Just don’t!’ I cried out finally, he doesn’t answer so I look down at my feet regretting that I gave in.