20

"When you know, you know"

The first movie ended a while ago and the evening was darkening, turning to a night. It felt just as good as before, laying beside JJ on the blanket while the movie played on the screen in front of us. The low talking everywhere around us, little kids already falling to sleep. And JJ's hand caressing my hair, that was pretty nice too.

The only problem was that John B wouldn't leave my thoughts for longer than five minutes. A lot has been going on lately, and it wouldn't be new if something had happened to him. Peterkin could have visited again now that we went back to the marsh and the gold, or the DCS could have come to take him away. Or then he got some other stupid idea, went back to the wreck by himself or something, and it didn't go well. Another, I wouldn't say a problem but something annoying in the back of my mind, was Rafe and Topper, who hadn't moved an inch since I last checked their location. At least they haven't tried anything, yet.

Apparently I'm not as sneaky as I thought looking over my shoulder every five minutes since soon JJ yanks my hair gently but still making me glare at him confused. "They won't do anything when we're in the middle of everyone", he whisper going back to caressing my hair. I don't know if he even notices he's doing it, that's how focused he's on everything else around him. "Relax Kate, we're fine. Just enjoy the movie and don't let those idiots ruin this from you."

I lean my head slightly to his chest and sigh. "I know, thanks JJ."

"And I'm sure John B's fine too", JJ adds.

"Everyone is fine now?" I can't help but ask jokingly. We were in fact not fine, not one of us was after the gold was not found this morning.

"Yes", he just answers. Hopefully he's right. Now I actually try to focus on the screen in front of us. I lean even closer to JJ, glancing at Kie and Pope to see if they noticed. I don't think there's anything questionable in this, but it just feels like this should be a secret. Something between me and JJ.

I succeed pretty well on the relaxing part for like 50 seconds, until Pope turns towards us and I try to pull away from JJ but to my suprise JJ doesn't let me go. Without me noticing, he has wrapped his arm around my waist and is now holding me in place under Pope's gaze, complitely ignoring him.

"JJ?", Pope whispers after he notices his staring won't get him any attention.

"What?" JJ whispers back, sounding a little annoyed.

"I gotta take a piss", Pope then informs, making me also turn to look at him crunching my brows.

"Thanks for telling us Pope", I fake a smile. "Go to the bathroom."

"No, hold it", JJ whispers sharply instead.

"I can't hold it. I drank too much soda."

"Oh my God", I turn back to the screen. The boys could work out a solution for this by themselves.

"It's too exposed, they'll totally see us." I keep listening to their quiet conversation with one ear.

"I gotta go." A pause, and I glance at the boys to see what interrupted their talking to see them blth looking behind us, straight towards Rafe and Topper. "They're blocking the bathrooms."

And the problem is back, and my attention on the movie again.

"Come here, I know where", JJ whispers and now I have to question their doings again, because I trust JJ, but I'd still like to know how close to the line between brave and stupid this plan takes a place.

"What? JJ", I sit up leaning to my elbows as the boys get up and Kie notices them leaving too.

"Hey, where y'all going?" She asks confused.