10. Keeping a Distance

As Riley continued to worry about the state Dawn was in, Nico assured her everything would be alright.

Still not satisfied just with an assurance, she needed to see Cage and apologize to Dawn.

Nico was glad to take her there but as they moved along the dimly lit hallways of the mansion, the others couldn't stop looking at her, but she wasn't uncomfortable, just curious because of how they gave her subtle nods.

"What's gotten into everyone?" she asked.

"They're acknowledging you," Nico said to her.

"What?"

"After what you did out there, no one will dare question or challenge your place."

"But-"

"This way."

As much as everything that had happened already indicated that she wouldn't allow anyone else to have Hunter, because he was destined for her, she still refused to accept it.

"You wanna calm down before we go in?" Nico asked her as they approached a certain door.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Do you even have to ask? I already told you, just chill out, okay?"

"Have you seen Dawn's fists?" She narrowed her eyes.

"I can hear you," Dawn said from inside the room, her tone low.

"Uh...hey," Riley said, breathing out deeply.

When Dawn told them to come in, Riley followed behind Nico and Dawn was right near the door with crossed arms and her head high.

With Nico stepping aside to check on Cage, who was on the other side of the room, Riley braced herself and stepped closer, even when Dawn looked like she was about to punch her in the face.

"Dawn, I don't know what happened to me and I don't even remember it."

"I know," Dawn said, her expression still blank.

"It wasn't my intention to hurt him."

"I know."

"I was out of control and-"

"Hey," Dawn cut her off, placing her hand on her shoulder. "Whatever you're going to say, I know."

"You do?"

Dawn sighed, stepping forward to place her other hand on Riley's shoulder, then hugging her.

"Uh..you should be punching me, not hugging me," Riley said.

Dawn scoffed.

"It wasn't your fault and he'll be fine when Oliver arrives."

While still hugging, Riley questioned why Dawn wasn't mad, and she said the same thing Nico did, about her only defending her rightful position.

"But-"

"Relax. Whatever you're going to say, welcome to the family, Luna."

Riley sighed, giving up on clarifying things for everyone.

But no matter how hard she tried to convince herself she didn't belong there, she already began to feel it.

After breaking the hug, they proceeded to join Nico by Cage's bedside, and Riley covered her mouth at the state he was in.

"I'm sorry about -"

"Don't, we talked about this," Dawn said. "But you better be ready to fight."

"What?"