2. The Mayfield Mansion

As Hunter looked down at her still passed out in his arms, with the scents of the rogues growing stronger each passing second, he knew that he needed to act fast.

As soon as he heard them coming from behind, he leapt from tree to tree, the rogues hot on his tail.

Despite how they chased him relentlessly and tried to corner him so they could bring him down, he gained more momentum as he took each leap, until the distance between them widened.

Although he had the upper hand, he still had some distance to cover before he could get to the Mayfield Mansion.

But as if right on time, a few of his pack warriors, led by Cage, his Gamma, came at full speed, taking down the rogues and giving him the chance to protect the one person who was important at that moment.

As soon as his senses weren't focused on getting away from the rogues, her alluring scent took over again, a low growl escaping his lips as he fought to control himself. He could already feel a stir in his exposed groin.

The moment he arrived at the Mayfield Mansion, after making it past the foggy hills and entering deeper in the woods on the other side of town, he was received by Nico, the beta of his pack, who stood at the gate with some clothes ready for him.

"Well that was strange," Nico said. "It's been a while since you experienced a rogue attack while alone. Oh, and who's she?"

Hunter extended his arms, ignoring Nico's question.

"I don't think I should carry her any more because it's all too much for me," Hunter admitted.

Nico wiggled his eyebrows with a mischievous smirk as he gave Hunter the clothes and took the girl from him, placing her on his shoulder.

"Since when are you unable to carry a single lightweight girl? That's amusing. I never thought I'd see the day you'd struggle."

Hunter clenched his jaw, his patience already running thin.

Despite Nico being a good friend, his mockery struck a nerve. Not once did he ever let anyone think he was weak. And it was for this reason that he needed to reveal the actual reason he struggled, even if it would expose how vulnerable he was.

"Her scent is so alluring that it captivates me and entices the beast within," Hunter admitted, his voice low with a mix of frustration and longing as he put on his pants.

Nico raised his eyebrows and snickered, slightly shaking his head in dismissal.

"Oh, come on, dude. Don't tell me that her scent has such power over you. Even in the face of temptation, you've never been the type to be weak."

Nico took the lead along the pavement that would lead to the front door.

At that moment, Hunter clenched his fists and his eyes began to glow, filled with anger as the fierce beast within him was ready to lash out.

"What the hell do you know? You've never experienced such a feeling so don't mock me. You don't understand what this is doing to me!"

Nico quickly stopped in his tracks, his laughter fading by the genuine rage in Hunter's eyes, which he saw when he looked behind. With a voice laced with fear, he tried to calm the situation.

"It's alright, calm down. Believe me when I say it wasn't my intention to upset you. You're right. I don't understand what you're going through."

Hunter's adrenaline-fueled rage slowly faded away and his vision returned to its normal state. With a deep breath, he unclenched his fists, finally regaining control over his emotions.