Chapter 1 : The Love That Met

//ये पहली मुलाकात की मीठी सी बेखुदी
ये पहली मुलाकात की मीठी सी बेखुदी
एक पल में हो गयी क्या से क्या यह ज़िंदगी
ये पहली मुलाकात की मीठी सी बेखुदी//

15th May 2015, Chandigarh
9 PM

Dear Diary,

My bachelor's final year examinations had just ended, and my plan to spend the vacation with my friend travelling across India had come to a halt, so, I decided to stay with my parents for the time.

Chandigarh, my hometown, my absolute favorite place!

I finally am back in my town after 7 long years.

It was Friday today, 2 days after my return. Maa had to go to her friends' house for a Satyanarayan Puja, Papa had to go to the office, and Chiki (my younger sister) had to leave for her college.

Thus, I was left with two options - either spend the entire day alone or accompany Maa to Puja. The second was a bad idea, but so was the first.

I racked my brains and came up with the idea to spend the day with my Nani, who had recently shifted to Chandigarh.

I decided to surprise Nani, so took the address from Maa, and chose to leave. Maa stopped me and started to throw a ton of directions on how to reach Nani's house, which I very casually ignored, after all, I know every nook and corner of the city.

After enduring the trouble to find a taxi, and the never-ending struggle of traffic jams, 2 hours later, I was standing in the locality.

But wait, where was Nani's house? Have I come to the wrong place? Am I lost now? I have spent all my life in Chandigarh, how can I get lost? And when did these localities get developed?

Ahh, my Chandigarh is no more the same.

All my delighted mood turned sour. I rang up Maa to help me, but she isn't picking up the call. Must be busy listening to the Panditji's chants!

So, sadly, with my ruined idea of giving a surprise, I called Nani and told her about my situation. Nani told me the directions but I couldn't get her. Let me tell you my little secret: I am very bad with directions. Left and right confuse the hell out of me.

So, I asked Nani if she could come to pick me up. I was standing outside a decent cafe called "Books N Brew". She couldn't as she and Nana were out. What's wrong today? Everybody is out. Nani didn't have the idea of Google Maps. So, she asked me to wait.

She, meanwhile, gave a call to her friendly neighbor's son to search for me, who readily agreed. She told me her plan but I disagreed.

How can I trust a random stranger?

Nani assured me there is nothing wrong with him and gave a long speech on how that guy is simply amazing, sweet, and whatnot, and literally, persuaded me to wait for the guy "Kabir. Kabir Sethi."

After 5 minutes of sheer impatience and standing under the sun, I saw a guy coming. He wore a black T-shirt and grey pants.

He came in front of me and asked, "Hi! Meera, right? Your Nani had called."

Oh, my good lord! What a voice! So deep and rough! Did my heart just skip a beat?

He was tall, actually very tall, I had to crane my neck to look into his eyes, deep brown eyes.

Fit, well-built, and handsome.

No, handsome would be an understatement for this guy.

Suddenly, he cleared his throat, to grab my attention. What the hell? Was I checking him out? What is wrong with me?

I managed to utter, "Hi! Yeah, I am Meera."

He replied, "Okay, come this way."

What? He didn't even tell me his name. Alright, I already know. But still? I wanted to hear it from him.

I was lost in these thoughts when he asked me to walk.

I tried to initiate a conversation. Just say I wanted to hear him talk again. "This area is newly developed, I guess! I have lived in Chandigarh for 15 years. Never came across this area."

He just uninterestedly said, "Hmm."

What's this "Hmm?" Can't he say something more? Let it be. It isn't that I am dying to talk to him.

But, the very next moment, my heart was like, "Ain't you wanting to hear his voice?"

Oh, no, no! What's wrong with me today?

Perhaps, being single all my life is the reason for this.

We walked and reached my Nani's small but comfortable home within 5 minutes. I thanked Kabir, who in return, gave me a small smile. And, my heart just skipped a beat again.

The door to Nani's house was locked, but thankfully, the garden area was open. So, I sat on the bench in my Nani's garden, waiting again.

I saw Kabir too sitting in his garden and scrolling his phone. I continued to stare at him till Nani returned.

Trust me, it was a fascinating and bewitching sight!

Meera

Gathering as much courage as I could, I present to you the first chapter of this story. I hope you liked it!

Please don't forget to tell me how you feel about the story and of course, this chapter.
Also, tell me your thoughts about Meera?
And Kabir?

Your opinion matters a lot to me! If you believe my story deserves recognition, I humbly ask for your votes and comments to help it reach a wider audience.

Also follow me on Instagram @ shewhowriteslove.

Much love!