Chapter One: The Dinner Party

Helen gingerly rang the doorbell. After waiting a couple moments and not getting a response, she looked at Bob apprehensively.

"Think they're home?" He shrugged in response.

"I dunno. They said they would," he said, his brow furrowing under his mask. Helen tried to smooth out a stubborn wrinkle in her red dress. "They probably couldn't hear us." As she said this, the impossibly large door swung open. Winston Deavor beamed at the two.

"Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, welcome!" He greeted them enthusiastically, his eyes glittering with excitement. Winston beckoned for the couple to come in, opening the door all the way. He led them inside, and Helen's mouth opened a bit when she saw the interior of the house. The vaulted ceilings, the crystal chandeliers, the marble floors, its grandeur overbearing. Helen and Bob made eye contact, as if to say "Can you believe this?"

Helen felt a tap on her shoulder, and turned around to see Voyd, grinning ear to ear nervously. "Oh, hey," Helen said good-naturedly. "Good to see you again, and nice dress," she nodded at the blue dress she was wearing. Voyd's face turned a shade of bright red, almost as red as Helen's dress.

"H-hi,  y-you look pretty," Voyd stammered, her face growing hotter by the second. Helen looked slightly amused. "Oh, I appreciate the compliment." She opened her mouth to say more but out of the corner of her eye, she thought she caught a glimpse of someone. "Ack, I'd love to talk more, but I've gotta go," Helen said apologetically to Voyd, who looked slightly relieved. "Byeee," Voyd chirped, giggling a bit to herself.

Helen had great difficulty getting herself through the crowds of investors, politicians, and supers, her dress making it even harder. "Sorry, excuse me," she said repeatedly as she tried her best to weave around the crowd, occassionally bumping into someone. Once she had escaped the sea of people, she got a better view of the person she saw. Her stomach sank.

Evelyn Deavor lounged in an ornate chair, downing shots of whiskey, her short, mousy brown hair sticking up and her dress shirt's sleeves cuffed. She and Helen made eye contact, and she slammed her glass down on the table.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Helen Parr. So glad you could make it," she sneered, crossing her arms across her chest. Helen sighed wearily, putting a hand to her forehead. "Do you mind not revealing my secret identity?" Evelyn waved it off with a hand, rolling her eyes.

"I mean, considering you're the reason I'm no longer allowed to work for DevTech with my brother, I'd say it's only fair." Evelyn shrugged casually, but hatred burned in her icy blue eyes. Helen frowned, her eyebrows drawing together. "Hey, I saved your life. I don't expect you to thank me, but know that I could have let you die. But I didn't." 

"I would have actually rather died than be here right now, talking to you," Evelyn said coldly. "What kind of life involves not doing anything, doodling blueprints that will never be used, reading about machines that I'll never get to see? I'm fucking stuck here, and it's all your fault. So yeah, thanks a lot, Helen." A silence followed, the only noises coming from the party. The occasional tinkling of glass, a hearty laugh. Helen said quietly, "I did what I had to do. You went after my family. I'd gladly die a thousand times if it meant that they'd be safe. So be grateful I didn't kill you, because I definitely considered it." Her voice had taken a sharp edge, and it cut through Evelyn, who didn't even dare to breathe. 

Helen turned away from Evelyn and went back into the crowd without another word, leaving her standing stiffly clenching an empty glass in her hand.