Chapter 12 - Ironic meanings...

Chapter 12 – Ironic meanings...

Lucy's POV

At lunch, I sit outside on the grass with Amy and Jess as they excitedly ask me questions about the events of yesterday. I've already explained it to them (in full detail may I add) three times, and so it's starting to get slightly boring now.

Amy and Jess have both known about Beck since the very first day I met him, although they've never actually met him in person, and they think he's absolutely awesome. They don't ask too many questions about him or my life outside of the pack, though, as they both seem to respect that it's my little getaway from the usual drama of my pack life.

"So, wait, Beck and Justin don't get along?" Jess asks, at the exact same time that Amy practically sings, "I smell jealousy..."

I roll my eyes before replying. "No, they don't exactly get along, but it is not because of jealousy." I make sure to keep my voice firm as I say this, not really wanting to get onto this subject and just hoping it'll get dropped which, of course, it doesn't.

"So why exactly don't they like each other, huh?" Amy challenges.

"Well, for starters, Beck can't stand working with other people-"

"-except you," Jess butts in smugly, but I just decide to ignore her and continue on.

"-and Justin's just Justin. He'd been in a bad mood all day, probably because he had to cancel a date or something, and so he took it out on Beck."

"Yeah, yeah," Amy replies, patting my shoulder. "You just keep on telling yourself that."

I roll my eyes again.

The idea of the two guys being jealous is just preposterous. I mean, it would imply that both of them have some kind of interest in me and that, let me tell you, is absolutely impossible.
Firstly, Beck is just a friend, and never have either of us even hinted at liking the other. There's no way that Beck sees me as anything other than the little Omega he took under his wing all those years ago; he practically thinks of me as a sister. 
And, secondly, it's ridiculous to think that Justin could possibly be interested in me. I mean, he rejected me, he's the biggest player this pack has to offer, and he sees me as nothing more than just some pathetic Omega wolf.
So, honestly, my two best friends are just insane.

"So, why exactly did you need Beck's help anyway?" Jess asks for what seems like the thousandth time, causing a sigh to escape my lips.

"You know I can't really tell you," I reply.

And it's true, whenever they've asked me about the rogue situation and what's going on, I've had to keep my answers as vague as possible. I'm under strict orders to give out as little information as possible and it's not exactly like I can go against the Alpha's orders.

"I know," she sighs. "I just hate that you have to keep secrets. You never keep secrets from us." And, again, it's true; I can't remember the last time I've had an important piece of information that I was unable to share with either of them.

"I'm sorry," I apologise sincerely, hating it just as much as they do.

We all fall silent as we sit there and I take the time to slowly look around at my surroundings. It's a pretty normal lunchtime, I guess, with nothing spectacularly special going on. It's just the same old friends hanging around in the same old places... the popular people hanging around by the school entrance and the picnic benches, with us lesser individuals having to make do with the grassy field.

As I glance over at Justin and his friends, I freeze, surprised to find that he's already watching me. He's stood with his girlfriend and Dean, with a few other friends hanging around as well, but he's completely ignoring them.