Chapter 8 - Why?

Chapter 8 – Why?

Justin's POV

Three days have passed since our first hunting trip and I'm now currently stood around in my dad's office, waiting for the rest of the team to arrive.
We've had absolutely no luck so far and, because of this, we've decided to change our tactic. The rogues obviously aren't camping anywhere near our border, which means we have absolutely no idea where they're hiding.
So, instead of going out on another hunting trip today, we're simply meeting up to try and figure out another way to go about this.
The most luck we've had with this whole thing was on the first day where we were following that rogue scent trail for a short while, and I think people are starting to lose a bit of faith in this whole operation, which means we need to work even faster to sort this rogue problem out.

***

When everyone's finally here, we gather in the office and take another glance at the map.

"What now?" Dean asks my dad, looking just about as lost as everyone else.

"Honestly?" my dad replies. "I have no idea..."

Great. Well, what a fantastic confidence boost that is.

"Well we have to do something," Wayne says. "We can't just let them attack."

"I know," my dad sighs, looking completely and utterly drained. "God, this would be so much easier if there was someone who actually might know something about the rogues."

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Lucy's head snap up at this, removing her eyes from the map and looking at him.

I watch her as she stands there, looking slightly unsure as she so obviously contemplates something silently in her head, biting her lip as she does so.

My mind trails back to that moment in the woods on our first hunting trip, the moment when she literally saved my leg from being chopped off by that lethal bear trap.

Why did she do it? Why did she save me? She didn't have to... she could've easily played it out like she hadn't seen it. Nobody else had. So why didn't she?
It's no secret that I've been acting like a complete and utter ass towards her for years now and, I'm not going to lie, if I had been in her shoes? I would've just let me step on the trap.
But, then again, that's just me... and Lucy Jacobs is most definitely not me.
I mean, come on, she doesn't have a single nasty bone in her body. She's always been the kind and caring type, ever since we were little, and I guess that's not always a bad thing. Actually no, it's definitely not a bad thing, as was proved three days ago when she stopped me from becoming dog chow.

I know that she basically told me that it wasn't because of me, and that it was just because of all the blood and everything that it would cause, but I can't help but be a little sceptical about that reason. I mean, seriously? It can't just be because of that.
Maybe... What if she...?
No. Definitely not. There's no way that she'd like me after everything I've put her through, mates or no mates... and there's definitely no way that I'm even contemplating her liking me because that would imply that I'm slightly interested, which I'm definitely not... right?

"Dude, are you listening?" Dean asks, snapping his fingers in front of my face and bringing me back to the present.

"What? Yeah," I reply, still slightly distracted as I remove my eyes from Lucy and focus more of my attention onto my best friend. 

"So, what do you think?" I give him a blank stare and he rolls his eyes. "About trying to find someone else who can help, someone outside of the Pack?" he elaborates, obviously summarising the whole conversation that I had just completely blanked out on.

"Um, yeah, sounds like a plan," I agree, the more people to help the better, I guess, as long as the person can be trusted. "Do we know anyone who will actually be of any use, though?"

I immediately start to scan my brain for anyone in one of the nearby pack's that would be able to help, but I can't really think of many.

"Um... I might know someone," Lucy speaks up for the first time, sounding slightly unsure, and my eyes automatically focus back on her.
Then her words register in my brain, leaving me slightly confused.

She knows people outside the pack?

"Who?" my dad asks.

"Um, well, he's... kind of a lone wolf," she replies, surprising me further.

She knows a lone wolf? I didn't think there were many of those around anymore. Wait a minute... he?!

"He usually sticks to this area," she continues with a shrug. "He might know something."

"What's his name?" dad asks, seemingly slightly surprised as well.

"Beck," she replies.

"Can we trust him?" I ask, not particularly liking this idea anymore.

"Yeah," she nods. "I've known him for years and he's a pretty good friend of mine."  

"Do you think he'll help?" Wayne asks, not sounding sure.

She shrugs. "Maybe, I don't know. He's not a huge fan of packs' but I'm sure I could talk him into it. Besides, he kind of owes me a favour anyway, and he's always been the kind of guy who sticks to his word."  

Ugh, she says it like they're best friends or something; I bet he's a complete dick.

"And you know where we can find him?" dad asks. She nods and he looks over at Wayne, Dean and me. "What do you all think?"

"I think it's worth a shot," Wayne says, not sounding completely convinced but obviously deciding that it's better than nothing.

"Yeah," Dean agrees with his father.

I just shrug.

"Okay," he says, seemingly making up his mind as he nods his head and turns to Lucy. "Can you take us to him now?"

"Sure," she says with a small shrug. "It'll probably take about an hour to get to his den."

"Alright, then let's go."

(HEY GUYS!!! Okay, i'm going to be the first to admit it... this chapter is SHORT. Sorry. I know it's not exactly the best chapter i could be updating considering the amount of time it's taken me to actually update it, but it's just one of those chapters that i feel has to be in there. It's just a filler/intro for the next chapter which is going to be a lot longer and better because you finally get to meet Beck! :D I've been looking forward to introducing this one character ever since i thought up the idea but we're all going to have to wait for the next chapter for that ;) anyways, i'm rambling. The reason why i've updated today is because today was my last exam, meaning i have now officially FINISHED SCHOOL! Luckily for you, this means i have a lot more time for writing so i will be updating a lot more regularly now, and i'm aiming for two chapters a week, possibly Monday and Friday. Obviously i can't always stick to that but those will be the days that i'll be aiming for. So, yeah, i hope you liked the chapter and don't forget to Vote/Comment/Add if you did as it'd be much appreciated. Sorry for the looooooong wait and for any mistakes within the chapter, i'll be going through and editing the whole story once i've finished writing it. Mostly, i'd like to just say thanks for sticking with 'OMEGA' despite my awful updating over the past few months, you're all amazing, thanks!)