Chapter 39 - Isn't life just great?

Chapter 39 – Isn't life just great?

Lucy's POV

It doesn't take me long to reach the Pack border safely, my mind still reeling about what just happened between Beck and I. I'm so confused and I don't know what to do. Do I want to be more than just friends? I don't think so. I mean, it's Beck. As in Beck my best friend, Beck the guy who's been lying to me the entire time I've known him, Beck the guy who's looked out for me from the very start (even when I didn't realise it). God, this is such a mess!

And then there's Justin: my predestined mate, my childhood best friend and the guy that completely turned his back on me when I needed him the most. I've kissed him twice and he's obviously trying to make it up to me after being such a dick for the past few years but... I don't know. I just don't know.

The thought of Justin makes me realise that I should probably text him to let him know I'm back safe so, as I continue the rest of my trek home, I quickly pull out my phone.

'Hey, just letting you know I'm back within the borders and am on my way home,' I type before shoving my phone back into my pocket.

A few seconds later I get a reply: 'Is everything okay?'

I don't know, is it? Probably not. Actually, definitely not, but I'm not about to tell Justin this so instead I just put my phone away again and decide not to answer.

I'm not quite sure what he's referring to, whether he simply means in general or if he's talking about Beck. He obviously doesn't know about the kiss, thank God, and I know I can't talk to him about it. There are, however, two people that I intend to talk everything through with and, when I finally get home, I'm relieved to see them sat down in the living room along with Devlin.

"Hey, Luce, you took your time," Amy accuses with a relieved smile when she sees me. "We were about to go and demand that David sent out a rescue team for you."

"Is everything okay?" Jess then asks, apparently noticing something not quite right in my expression.

No. No it is not.

"What's wrong?" Amy asks from where she sits on the sofa (the sofa that Devlin and Jess aren't occupying).

"I – he – he kissed me!" I say, immediately gaining their full attention.

"Who?" Amy asks, sitting up straighter to look at me properly.

"Both of them!" I reply, my guilt and confusion growing higher by the second.

I'm such an idiot!

"Beck and Justin?" she guesses. I nod.

"And I kissed him back!" I admit, not even caring that Devlin's still here.

"Which one?" Amy asks, looking way too happy for the situation that I'm currently in.

"Both of them!" I repeat, pretty much at the limit of a full-on freak-out.

"Oh, okay..." Jess says after the initial shock of my confession wears off. Then, she turns to Devlin and all but drags him off the sofa as she stands up, pushing him towards the door. "Time for you to go."

Once the two of them are out of the room, I quickly sink onto their vacated sofa and hide my face in my hands.

"I'm such an awful person," I sigh, fully aware that Amy is just sat there watching me.

"No you're not," she disagrees, her voice soft. "Confused, maybe; overwhelmed, most definitely. Not awful, though, I don't think anyone could ever describe you as that."