Chapter 31 - Homecoming

"Have you got a dress, yet?" Hilary asked, as they left their first period class.

There hadn't been a single sighting of Sebastian or Maxwell in days. However, not a single person at school noticed Sebastian's disappearance; it was like he never existed.

Lily gave her a questioning look. "For what?"

"The homecoming dance. It's this weekend." Hilary said, as if it should have been obvious. Maybe it should have been, but her mind had been on other things lately.

Lily shook her head, when she saw the posters that decorated the walls every two feet, announcing where to purchase tickets. "I can't believe I forgot."

The homecoming dance would be a much needed respite from her bedroom, which had become more of a jail cell. Lily was basically a prisoner, never allowed out without her mother, Ms. Birch, or Anderson at her side.

Everyone was on edge, waiting for the warlocks to strike again.

As they turned the corner Lily felt the pull on her heart. Duncan was waiting by her locker, reading a paperback, folded in half.

She rolled her eyes at first, but she put on smile when he looked over at her. During school hours, he took over for her parents, never going more than an hour without checking on her. He insisted on meeting her at her locker between every one of her classes. A ridiculous idea, since most of his classes were so far away. As a result he had been late to almost every one of his classes. It was nice to see him so often during the day, but he was going to get detention, or worse, if he kept this up. Besides that, she thought it was she who should be checking in on him, since he was the one that got kidnapped.

"Um, I'm gonna get going." Hilary said, upon seeing him. "See ya at lunch."

Lily waved. "Later."

Duncan smiled as Lily walked over and opened her locker, replacing the book in her bag with the one for Ms. Birch's class. "How long are you going to keep this up?" she asked, not taking her eyes away from the contents of her locker, trying to look busy.

"Until we know for sure the Caines are gone for good." Duncan took her hand and ran his thumb across her knuckles, sending sparks shooting through her whole body. She closed her eyes, enjoying the sensation. He was trying to distract her, and it was working like a charm.

Lily took a deep breath to collect herself. "Stop that." There wasn't any conviction in her voice at all.

Still, he dropped her hand. She instantly regretted speaking up. "The homecoming dance is this weekend." she said.

Duncan shrugged. "So, what?"

"So, we're going." Lily proclaimed. She made up her mind then and there that nothing would stop her from going to that dance. Not even her mother.

Duncan wrinkled his forehead. "Are you sure about that?" He rubbed his hand across the back of his head, mussing his sandy blond hair.

"Absolutely." Lily said, staring into his eyes. "I won't let Sebastian or his crazy father—or my neurotic mother, for that matter—ruin my life. I just want to be with you and my friends and have fun. I'd like, for just one night, not to have to worry about getting murdered by a psychopath. Is that too much to ask?"

"I guess not." He deflated his defensive posture, leaning against the lockers. "But, first, you gotta talk your mom into letting you out of the house."

Lily chuckled and waved a hand at him. "Piece of cake." She knew that it would be anything but that.
Judging by his raised eyebrow and pursed lips he knew it, too.