Chapter 25 - Secrets from the Past

Lily didn't get much sleep. Learning that the leader of a group of evil warlocks was coming to see her wasn't conducive to a restful night. She had a feeling he wasn't interested in afternoon tea. She was glad her parents hadn't made Duncan leave. If there was ever a time she needed him it was that night.

Lily woke up with her head on Duncan's chest, his arms wrapped around her. Before she even opened her eyes she smelled his sweet, earthy scent. Her eyes opened to the sight of his serene face. She smiled. She could get used to waking up this way.

She vaguely remembered laying on the couch to watch television. Her parents made them stay in the family room so they could be easily monitored. They didn't say that, but Lily knew that was the reason. Especially when either her mother, her father, or Anderson came into the room every fifteen minutes for one lame reason or another.

"Morning, beautiful." Duncan muttered, still half-asleep. He hugged her tighter and his hands rubbed up and down her back.

Lily brought her fingers up to caress his lips, brushing them across the prickly stubble on his chin, across the planes of his cheek and forehead, taking in the gloriousness that was him. "Good morning." she said finally, barely speaking above a whisper.

They laid there for a while, looking into each other's eyes, appreciating a moment that wouldn't come soon again. They finally got up when Anderson came in to announce that breakfast was ready. Though how he knew they were awake was a mystery, since she heard his stylish loafers on the wood floor, coming down the hall from the dining room.

Duncan was still dressed in the black t-shirt and jeans from the night before. Even in wrinkled, slept-in clothes and messy hair he was still attractive. It may even have made him more so. She stretched up on her toes and kissed his cheek.

He smiled. "What was that for?"

"Just for being here." Lily put her arms around him, holding him tight. "You make me feel safe. Even when murderous warlocks are out to get me."

She felt a jolt of anger from him. She looked up at his face. His jaw was clenched. He looked deep into her eyes. "I would never let anything happen to you." He spoke with such intensity that she didn't doubt he would throw himself in front of a bullet for her, should the need arise.

"I know that." she said.

Duncan kissed her. It was strangely fierce and passionate, considering they were in a room anyone could walk into at any moment.

"Ew, gross!"

They quickly broke apart. Duncan took two steps back, as if he needed the space as a buffer between them.

Lily looked over at her little brother in annoyance. "What do you want?"

"Mom says you gotta come eat before it gets cold." Parker said.

"Fine," Lily waved her hand to dismiss the little boy. "You can go now."

Parker scowled and stuck out his tongue. Lily grabbed one of Duncan's shoes off the floor and pretended that she was going to throw it. He quickly turned and ran.

"Do you think it would be wrong if I turned him into a toad?" Lily asked.

"I do, actually." Duncan said.

"Just for like an hour or two."

"Can we go eat now? I'm starving." His stomach growled, as if to confirm his statement.

She nodded.

All through breakfast not one mention was made about the previous night's conversation. In fact, nobody said much of anything. Lily ate quickly and urged Duncan to do the same.