Chapter 27 - Family Reunions

School on Monday was very mundane. When the final bell rang, Lily headed toward the locker room for cheerleading practice. She fought against the stream of students rushing in the opposite direction, to the parking lot. She was glad when she finally got closer to the gym, as the halls emptied.

Lily pulled out her phone when it dinged. It was a text from Duncan. Apparently, he had to cover the shift of a sick coworker, so he wouldn't be there when she got out of practice.

LILY: I'll miss you.

DUNCAN: How much?

L: Heaps. Maybe I'll come by after practice for a pick-me-up.

D: Coffee? Or something else...

L: Like what?

D: I could think of a few things.

The message was unusually risqué for Duncan. It brought a surprised grin to her face. Well, two could play that game, she thought.

L: I'm waiting...

D: Well, it starts with me kissing you.

L: Obviously.

D: Then, I put my hand on your thigh and slowly drag my fingers up your leg as I kiss your neck.

Lily's face grew warm at the very thought of that. She was so distracted she bumped into something. She thought it was column until she looked up and saw Jack standing in front of her. "I'm so sorry." She clicked the button to put her phone to sleep.

There was an odd look on his face. His eyes burning holes in her.

A thought occurred to her: "Shouldn't you be at practice?"

Jack didn't respond. She wasn't sure if he even heard her.

She waved her hand in front of his face. "Are you alright?"

Again, he said nothing.

"Okay, whatever. Be weird. I have to go." She took a step back and started to move around him.

With the lightning fast reflexes that always surprised her, Jack suddenly grabbed ahold of her arms. She dropped her phone on the floor as he pushed her against the lockers. Before she could register what happened, he kissed her. His lips were hard and fierce against hers.

She wondered what had come over him. They were finally friends again, now he did this. She struggled in his grasp, but it was futile. He was much stronger than her. She couldn't break his hold.

She thought about knocking him back with her telekinetic powers, but the force it would take to push him away, without causing him harm, required more concentration than her agitated mind could yield.

But she did have another ability that might work—pushing. It required almost no effort, just a strong determination, which she had in spades. She didn't know if she had to actually say the command for it to work, or if she could literally push the thought from her mind to his. Still, it was worth a try. Plus, it wouldn't actually hurt him either way.

She thought of one simple word and put all of her energy behind it. In her mind—and she hoped his, too—she yelled, "STOP!"

Jack lurched backwards and fell to the floor as if he'd been punched. He shook his head, his eyes going glassy. "Lily, I'm so sorry. I don't know what happened. It was like the second I saw you I couldn't control myself."

Lily huffed out a breath, straightening her clothes. "Next time, do me a favor. Try harder!" A bit of spit flew from her mouth. She turned and started to walk away.