Chapter 7: Suspicions Rising

Detective Lila Thompson walked through the bustling corridors of City Hall, her eyes fixed on the mayor's office at the end of the hall. The investigation into Mr. Raymond Barrett's murder had led her to Mayor Harriet Dawson, whose connections and evasiveness were raising red flags. As she approached Harriet's office, Lila knew she needed to tread carefully; Harriet was a powerful figure in Eldenwood with deep ties to the town's elite.

 As she approached Harriet's office, Lila knew she needed to tread carefully; Harriet was a powerful figure in Eldenwood with deep ties to the town's elite

"Detective Thompson, welcome back," Harriet greeted Lila with her usual polished smile. The mayor sat behind her elegant wooden desk, her office tastefully decorated with local art and framed certificates. Despite the warm welcome, there was an edge in Harriet's voice, as if she knew this visit was more than just a casual check-in.

"Mayor Dawson, I'm here to ask about the pendant found at the crime scene," Lila said, keeping her voice steady. "It seems to be linked to someone in your circle. Can you tell me anything about it?"

Harriet's smile tightened, her eyes narrowing slightly. "I told you, Detective, I don't keep track of every piece of jewelry my associates buy. It's a common design."

Lila nodded, watching Harriet's body language. "We also have information suggesting that Mr. Barrett had documents related to a financial scandal at Eldenwood High School. Do you have any knowledge of this?"

Harriet's expression remained composed, but her fingers tapped lightly on the desk. "No, I don't. If there's a scandal, I'm sure it's just a rumor. You know how small towns are—people love to gossip."

Lila knew she wasn't getting anywhere with Harriet, who was skilled at deflecting questions. She decided to shift her focus to Harriet's connections with other town figures, particularly Marcus Greene, the school's janitor. The mayor's close ties with Marcus raised new questions about his role in the murder and whether he was helping Harriet cover up something larger.

Back at the police station, Lila and Officer Ben Price discussed their next steps. Ben had been investigating Harriet's connections and discovered that she had a history of manipulating town politics to her advantage. This information suggested that Harriet might be protecting herself or someone close to her.

"We need more evidence," Lila said, leaning over her desk. "If Harriet is involved, we need to find solid proof before we confront her."

Ben nodded. "What about the missing folder from Mr. Barrett's desk? Any leads on that?"

"Not yet," Lila replied, shaking her head. "But we know it contained documents related to the scandal. If we can find it, we'll have the leverage we need."